I need some technical help

Walter Tore said:

Once this is hooked up to my computer, would cool edit 2000 then be my wave converter/final mixer, and would the sound be noticably better than what I am getting now on the mini disc or DAT recorder? I didn't realize I could put each mic on seperate track with my mixer(thanks!). That would be great. Then I could record dry and go back and mess with each track, which is something I have never done. Thanks so much! Walter

PS: What is S/PDIF digital I/0 that I don't need?

sound samples of my stuff: the best are the most recent on the Tascam DA 30 DAT Recorder Album

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/discography.php?aid=3118

That's right, CE would be where you do your mixing.

S/PDIF would give you a digital connection to your Tascam DA30 if that's of any use to you....

Well Happy New Year to You all! It is only 5:11pm here in California. I guess I am heading in this direction with recording. Thank you all for all of your help. If you are ever in my area let me know. I owe you a lunch! Walter

PS: You may be helping create a monster! I will probably need a lot more guidence once I get this. The Delta 44 sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited:
walter

if you need more tracks than cool edit 2000 offers , which if i remember is limited ...check out audacity . its a free multitrack recorder. you can get it plusdemoes of other music software
from hitsquad.com. a delta 44 would be a good choice imho.as i'm a computer engineer/songwriter it would help to know what current computer you have. BTW - cool edit is very good for editing. so you could keep it for difficult editing tasks and noise
reducing tracks etc.

Re: walter

manning1 said:
as i'm a computer engineer/songwriter it would help to know what current computer you have.

My computer is

HP Pavilion with a Intel Celeron processor-667MHz
64MB SDRAM memory(my computer tech added more, cant remember how much)
15.0GB Ultra DMA hard drive
HP CD Writer

Here is my equipment:

Cool Edit 2000
Put my computer in the closet to cut the noise(I do a lot of acoustic stuff)
Get the Delta 44 or 66
Use my Yamaha MG10/2 mixing board
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--YAMMG102

Behringer Virtualizer Pro - for reverb
AT 3035 condensor mic
MXL V57 condensor mic
Core Sounds binauarl mic-requires 2 XLR inputs
http://www.core-sound.com/mics.html

How I record:

I do every live. I compress it with cool edit 2000 and then just burn it to cd. Someone mentioned I can put each mic on a separate track using the outs on my mixing board.

Here are my Questions:

1. How do I connect the mixer outs so that I can use 4 tracks?
2. Can I record dry and then hook the Behringer Virtualizer Pro up to the computer to add reverb to individual tracks?
3. can I run long cables from the closet to my mixing board? I will need about 10 feet.
4. Can I use regular guitar cables from the mixer to the Delta?

I may come up with more as I go along. Thanks so MUCH! and Happy New Year! Walter

walter

your best bet is with respect a new computer. for about 400 bucks you can buy a 2ghz amd with two 7200 rpm harddrives.
you could put the delta 44 in it. but a caveat MAKE SURE THE DELTA SOUND CARD IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE MOTHERBOARD CHIP SET. most people seem to like nvidia and sis chipsets.
so lets say you connect the mixer to the delta 44.
if you have a 4 bus output mixer just connect the bus line out to 44 line in. how many busses are on your mixer ?

yes you can record dry. if you wish. once a track is done just take
it back out into the fx unit line in and record as a new track.
my advice would be if possible to get a second mix/monitor line mixer to do this to save disrupting settings on a small mixer.
like switching between mic and line. also you dont want potential feedback issues. it CAN be done with one mixer but having two gives you an easy time andwork flow. thats how i do it.
i would not use guitar cables. but check out fostex or tascam
patch chords. very cheap. also consider a patch bay.
very usefull.
hope this helps.

Manning 1: Thanks for all that information. I am just ordered a delta 66 soundcard so I can record with my DAT or MD on location and then load it on the computer. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy a computer, what brand, etc? I would need a monitor and cd burner with it. Thanks and Happy New Year! Walter

Back