How to track drums live with scratch track?

BunnyMusic

Hello. I want to record drums playing with bass but only track the drums to get a solid drum track. Is there anyway i could have the bass go direct in to the drummers headphones so my software (audacity) wont track the bass as well? Im using a yamaha mw10c 4 channel usb mixer and audacity and thats about it. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Could you not just delete the bass track on Audacity that the drummer played to, then track it properly later?

Could you not just delete the bass track on Audacity that the drummer played to, then track it properly later?

That probably wont work real well as this mixer/interface only allows two simultaneously recorded tracks at once. This would leave only one mono drum track. Not the greatest starting point. If that is all that is desired then go for it.

You will probably not be able to run your bass through the mixer at all as lower end mixer AUX outs are usually post fader. This means that you cannot use the AUX without adding signal to the main outs (sends to Audacity). Your best bet would be to use a headphone out from a bass amp (if available). Or you can use or borrow another mixer to send bass to drummers headphones. Or you can get a headphone amp if you have a bass amp with a line out. Or........

Your best bet would be to use a headphone out from a bass amp (if available). Or you can use or borrow another mixer to send bass to drummers headphones. Or you can get a headphone amp if you have a bass amp with a line out. Or........

Ah! That would work! cant believe i didnt think of that! Thanks! But in the future, is there a software that would let you record two seperate stereo tracks at once from two seperate signals?

Your interface should do that. I am not real familiar with Audacity but I would think you could do this: Setup two channels in Audacity. Select input on each channel, one for left, one for right. Pan what you want on track 1 to the left on your mixer. Track two pan right. They will be mono tracks but at least you can have control over say the kick drum separately from the other mics.

If Audacity doesn't have that ability to select input source for channel, you can download Reaper for free (pay later). That will absolutely do what you want. For more inputs to separate tracks, you will need a better interface.

Good luck!

Jimmy

Two separate stereo tracks would require an interface with 4 channels.
The job of the software is to faithfully reproduce the signal that it is getting, so if your mixer is sending channel containing the bass signal to the software, the software should record it unless you've disarmed that track.
If you want a stereo drum track and a bass track (even if you're deleting it right away), you'll need 3+ channels.

Back