How to record tempo changing drums?

ScienceOne

On my bands last cd, while recording drums, we simultaneously recorded a separate scratch track of direct guitar that went to the drummer's headphones, so he could keep a good tempo/feel. We had to do this cause our songs have wild tempo changes/breakdowns. I don't want to have to do that again because I want to simply listen/concentrate on the drum sounds/engineering responsibilites, not play guitar at the same time. Who has had this same problem before? I'm using cubase sx with a delta 1010lt, delta 410, and a mackie 1604 vlz.

how about a click track?....id still do a scratch rhythm guitar with the click, then let the drummer record to that........

yeah, but i'm talking chaotic music with crazy tempo changes, how can i set my click track to something that jumps around and doesnt fit one tempo?

Most software sequencers will let you program 'Tempo Maps' with different changes. It is a common tool for doing classical music and film scores. I don't know which drum machines will do it but I imagine there are a few that will.

If you have to do it manually you could have the drummer play a practice pad or something and record a click track while the guitarist does a scratch track. Then the drummer can overdub using those tracks as a guide.

If you are the guitarist and engineer then it shouldn't be a big deal to do the scratch track while he plays. There really isn't much you can do as an engineer during the tracking. If something doesn't sound right half way through the track you still have to redo it anyway. Your job should be done by the time you hit the record button. You might spend a little more time listening to the replays for mistakes but you should be doing that anyway.

Yeah, I just hate jumping from one chair to the other, going across the room a hundred times to redo takes, and I also want to catch most mistakes (rim hits, etc.) when they happen, not later. I think the scratch practice pad idea is the best, thanks.

Back