High gain needed on my Zoom R24. Why?

The Saint

Hi

I'm new to home recording and have recently bought a Zoom R24 an sE condenser mic. I have to put the gain almost up to max to get a decent level of vocals or acoustic guitar. It happens on all channels and before you ask, yes +48v is on!

Am I missing something here, or is that the norm? I've experimented with mic/guitar and vocal/mic placement without any improvement. Neither are more than 12".

I also have an ART valve preamp which I intended to use for live work, but would it add anything to the gear I'm using at the moment?

Thanks

Graham

I'm also very VERY interested in purchasing an R24!!! I'm also waiting for other users for their reply.

I also use the Se2000 mic but with the older R16. I found so far that anything above 50% gain overdrives the channel. I tend to find the clip point and then take it back about 10% to give a little headroom. Having said that, I've recorded at really low levels and managed to pull some great vocals from the recording.

I have recorded an upright piano and vocals with the pop shield and have not come across running the gain too high at all, even when I overhead mic'd a choir.

I've also used a midiman preamp instead of the onboard phantom power and although I get a lot more gain, there is little difference in background noise.

Hope my experience helps a little.

PP - I love this little machine.

A little late but... I have the R16. I bought it about 8 months ago. I'm very new to recording so please take that in to account. I only record resonator guitar, and acoustic guitar. I tried the R16 with the on board preamp's and mics first, although at that time I had a AKG c3000 condenser mic. The recorder did fine by itself, but I was looking for something more so I tried the C3000 and it was better over all, but was still lacking. So I bought a Ribbon Microphone, and the ribbon gave me that "warmth" I was looking for, but I had to max out the gain, and it still wasn't enough. So I bought a Golden Age stock Pre-73 microphone pre-amp, and my recording's came alive, not only with the ribbon, but also with the c3000, and a Kel HM-3c mic. I've recorded with the Kel up to 3feet away, and the ribbon 6 feet with no problems. I too like the R16 very much, and I've only touched the surface of what this machine will do.

The R24's simultaneous 8-track recording capability allows you to capture live band performances, record drum kits with multiple mics and make other recordings of multiple sound sources. So it needs high gain.

Back