help! quick! haha many q's need some quick results THANKS

swallja

Hey all,

I have a VERY decent band with much live experience. However, nothing on CD. I recently made some connections and the first thing I need to make it to the next level is something recorded. obviously...

Right now drums are in my soundproofed 10X15 bedroom (yes, i put soundproofing on my walls because my parents room is right next to me) with a great mic setup. Also will need to record acoustic guitar (very rhythmic and much interaction with drums) and a second lead acoustic guitar. Also will need vocals with harmonies. So in total... drums, bass, acoustic guitar (2 to 3 tracks) and vocals (2 to 3 tracks). Looking for Dave Matthews Band type sound.

The current setup is drums into Fostex VM200 and from there into a Waveterminal USB interface (via optical S/P DIF) and into my laptop which is running the latest Sonar. We recorded drums over the past 3 days and have a decent sound for them. Now the questions start with recording guitar. Not sure how to eq them at all or what effects to use. We have two 300$ condenser mics for recording them but not sure what to do from there. Also I have heard that compressing the guitar is the best thing to do. I don't really know what compressing is? will it be able to make my mix louder? (that is a huge issue). Also, would it be ok to record two guitars simultaneously w/ the two mics? Setup Suggestions?

sorry for all the ?'s

Also, vocally... Eq suggestions? effect suggestions?

also, we would like to add hand-drumming tracks (djembe/bongo's etc.) any help for micing????

once again sorry for all the ?'s

sw

swallja said:
Right now drums are in my soundproofed 10X15 bedroom (yes, i put soundproofing on my walls because my parents room is right next to me)
Right off I can tell you that you haven't "soundproofed" anything. You don't "put soundproofing on the walls", you build soundproofing!

At best, anything you put up on the walls would be considered "sound reflection treatment", and its effectiveness is dependent on what the material is.

However -- whatever the material is, I guarantee it does nothing to soundproof your drum room from your parents room.

thanks but that minor wording detail really has NOTHING do to with the thread. drums are the least of my concerns as i mentioned that i already have a decent drum sound.

I didn't need to add anything further --- those links that therage posted contained all you need to know....

But you did have a big misconception on what soundproofing is, so I was trying to educate you -- consider it part of your "learning experience."

You're welcome..........

Back