first mics

reymarcelo

hi! this is my first time postingon a forum x)
im looking to start recording drums and some small projects, i already have in mind the alessis interface mm8 usb, and i had in mind buying an pack of audix drum mics,since i can record other instruments with some mics in the package.but thing is that i dont have that many resourses, and plan to buy a set of 2 over heads and one for the snare an anither for the bass drum,i want them to work with other basic instruments too. I dont know wich ones to buy and get the best for my money :). any thoughts?

Since you considered Audix mics already then I have to add that i5 is a pretty good mic. It's almost like the classic Shure sm57, but I personally like the i5 lot more. Good on snare, guitar amp...

My first mic was sm57, but to tell the truth it doesn't sound very exiting.

A lot of people will tell say the D6 for the kick, but if you want a versatile bass instrument mic I'd steer clear as it's unnatural response peaks are nice for click/boom on kicks it can sound funny on an acoustic bass instrument and some bass amps. I'd go B52 or D112 in that price range.

Another wonderful option for kick that can also be used on a ton of other things is the EV RE320! Amazing value for the $300 you pay for it new. It's insane.

The point is with that price point and your interface either sm57 or i5 will give similar results both good. You would need better pres, converters, monitors, room treatment to notice the real nuances between microphones, just get a good sound and you will develop a mic preference later.

what do you guys think about the MXL drum mics? and the alessis mm8 usb interface am i getting a good bang for my buck?

Can't speak about all the MXL stuff, but I like the 603's as OH's/HH very much. Even better when Michael Joly modifies them but beyond your apparent budget to do that. In their stock form, I've no complaints (for what they are)

the alessis mm8 usb interface am i getting a good bang for my buck?

The only thing i'd say about the multimix 8 is that it depends on which version of it you are looking at. The older, silver version (just called the multimix 8 usb) only records a stereo output to your computer via the USB. so even if you had four mic's plugged in, you computer will see it as a mixed stereo track sent from the main output of the multimix. This may be fine, but my guess would be that you want to be able to record the OH's, kick and snare all into individual tracks in whatever DAW you plan to use. The newer, black version (called the multimix 8 USB 2.0) does record all the channels separately. you may already be looking at the newer one but this is more a "heads up" as i know some people who have fallen foul of this and ended up with the older ones thinking it could do 10 outs to their DAW.

in terms of the mics, i agree with Pahtcub; SM57 or i5 both sound great on snares and are fairly versatile on a range of other sources, and the D112 or Beta 52a are both great kick mics and, ime, are more versatile when used from things like bass amps as well.

I would focus on overheads first and foremost. One or two condenser mics would do the trick. Plus they will have many other uses beyond just drums.

I've heard many good things about the CAD M179s. If I were starting out and on a tight budget, I'd get a pair of those. They are multipattern (giving you lots of options) and supposedly sound very good. For $125 each at Zen Pro Audio, you have little to lose. Plus you can use them for acoustic guitar and vocals too.

Once you have a good overhead sound, then focus on dynamic mics for snare and/or kick. You add mics in order to add focus, and give the mixer some flexibility when balancing out the drum set's sound. Considerations include (1) what frequency response you want, (2) price, and (3) flexibility (ability to use the mic for other purposes).

For snare drum you can go with Shure SM57, Audix I5, Senn e609 or e906, or EV ND468. For kick, drum standard choices are AKG D112, Shure Beta 52, Audix D6, or EV RE20.

Back