finger picking strum???

cliff richard

hi folks,

when i am recording acoustic guitar (which has always been in a finger picking style) i found that my best results with the equipment i have is to place my rode nt2 a couple of foot away set to omni, and my dynamic ev nd767 quite close at about the fourth fret. this then goes into my mixing desk, then to an rnc compressor, and then to my pc (cubase). however, i now have a song that i would like to record which starts with finger picking but at the end changes into a heavy strum style. how do i record this without clipping, or without loosing some of the intimacy of the finger picking???

cheers for any help!!!

Some o fmy songs have similar dynamic challanges. I usually use different takes. Record the first section as you've described and then alter the set up and re-record the strum part. I then compress each of these seperatley and edit them together so that they sound natural.

... I sometimes leave a room mic setup in the same place... usually about 2 meters from me (I'm lucky to have a nice sounding room) and keep it there for both takes and compress this very little - It just adds a sense of continuation.

Experiment... IT'S THE FUN BIT! ;)

Back