Finally.. the guitar tone If been looking for.

gcapel

boom box recordings
I just got a marshall dsl50 head. I've owned boogie dc-5's for years. I paired the two amps up. The marshall on the left and boogie on the right. I put the clip in the clinic but I don't think anyone cared. No one might not care in here either. I just thought it was a revelation for me. I am now getting close to finding the heavy guitar tone that I'm completely satisfied with.

I like it! Congrats!

For me, if I could just find a clean setting on my Dual Rec that I liked, I would be happy. For live...not for recording.

Just two tracks. Hard panned.

I used an I5 and a vintech 1272. Same speaker cab which was a homeade 2x12 cab with jenson mod 12 speakers. RME converters and a Gigson sg-I with a 500T in the bridge.

I used an I5 and a vintech 1272. Same speaker cab which was a homeade 2x12 cab with jenson mod 12 speakers. RME converters and a Gigson sg-I with a 500T in the bridge.
Nice pre you have there. I have an i5 on the way. Can't wait to try it on guitar cabs and snares. RME converters here as well. I use a Chandler Germanium for my guitars, though.

Last edited:
Nice pre there you have there. I have an i5 on the way. Can't wait to try it on guitar cabs and snares. RME converters here as well. I use a Chandler Germanium for my guitars, though.

I like the I5 the most on the snare drum. It was the easiest sound I've ever achieved.

On the cab it's tough to choose sometimes (over the 57).

It's decent, but a bit too digital sounding for my taste. I didn't really hear much "life" in the tone, if you will. Could just be my personal preferences, and truth be told, it's a helluva lot better than what I currently have.

Sounds good.
Id try using a bit less distortion and a tad more lows or mids to make it a bit meatier.
This makes me haapy as I have DSL50 and my other guitarist has a Dual Rectifier so I know its possible to get a good tone out of these amps.

What was your set up?

Cheers,
Eck

It's decent, but a bit too digital sounding for my taste. I didn't really hear much "life" in the tone, if you will. Could just be my personal preferences, and truth be told, it's a helluva lot better than what I currently have.

By digital I expect you are talking about the grainy sound in the high mids. This could be from too much distortion and/or maybe bad mic technique and/or too much high end.

Eck

this is what i used

Sounds good.
Id try using a bit less distortion and a tad more lows or mids to make it a bit meatier.
This makes me haapy as I have DSL50 and my other guitarist has a Dual Rectifier so I know its possible to get a good tone out of these amps.

What was your set up?

Cheers,
Eck

Thks sir,

Gain settings are no more than the 4 position on both amps. Though they both react differently. Mids are 75% on the amp settings. I try not to add any lows to avoid the woofyness. I love plenty of mid range. I am going to try some new speakers. Maybe some vintage 30 clones.

Your dsl have the drake OT transformer? The early ones do. I got my hands on one. I owned a newer dsl100watt and hated it. There is a significant difference in the two. I've read about a OT upgrade with Mecury transformers.

My dsl sounds real close to a JCM 800 to my ears.

By digital I expect you are talking about the grainy sound in the high mids. This could be from too much distortion and/or maybe bad mic technique and/or too much high end.

Eck

Yeah, that's a bit more accurate. It just sounded very dry and, well, digital. Maybe a bit less gain and some love to the los and mids.

Thks sir,

Gain settings are no more than the 4 position on both amps. Though they both react differently. Mids are 75% on the amp settings. I try not to add any lows to avoid the woofyness. I love plenty of mid range. I am going to try some new speakers. Maybe some vintage 30 clones.

Your dsl have the drake OT transformer? The early ones do. I got my hands on one. I owned a newer dsl100watt and hated it. There is a significant difference in the two. I've read about a OT upgrade with Mecury transformers.

Cool.
Yeah I get what you are saying about boomy lows, but a tiny tad more could work really well and really meat up that tone, although it is nice at the moment.

I have the JCM2000 DLS50 so yeah its a new one. These are meant to be a tad harsh compared to the 800s. I am getting a set of broken in Vintage 30s and a full retube also. If I'm not happy with my tone after that I will look into the drake OT transformer upgrade.
Is it easy enough to fit the transfomer yourself?

What is the exact model of your amp. Is it not a JCM800 DSL50?
800s started in the 80s if I'm not mistaken, and 2000s started in 2000.

Eck

Cool.
Is it easy enough to fit the transfomer yourself?

I know the mercury OT upgrade is drop in. I would think you would just know the leads and replace with a soldering iron.

What is the exact model of your amp. Is it not a JCM800 DSL50?
It's a jcm 200 dsl50, but it has the drake OT like the jcm 800's and 900's.

I know the mercury OT upgrade is drop in. I would think you would just know the leads and replace with a soldering iron.

It's a jcm 200 dsl50, but it has the drake OT like the jcm 800's and 900's.
Cheers man. You mean JCM2000 though don't you?
What would I be looking for to check if my amp had a drake OT in it?

Eck

Thks sir,

I think the sounds is pretty good. Maybe a tad too fizzy in the top end but that's nothing a small adjustment won't fix. I'd love to hear it in a mix with bass and drums!!! I bet it would kill then!

As far as sounding "digital"....uh....okay?

Back