Examples of tape compression or tape 'clipping' in well known recordings?

amra

I am trying to get an idea of what the effect is when you push to the point of getting some analog clipping when recording to tape.

What are some well known recordings made over the years that would be a good example to listen to in order to hear this?

Thanks!
A.

Pretty much all the analog rock recordings from the 70's and 80's "feature" this technique.

Define "well known". :)

One of my favorite examples of intentional analog overdrive/saturation - whether it's actually from tape, I'm not sure, but it sure is a classic analog saturation sound - is on the soundtrack CD for a PBS special that aired a couple of years ago called "Rhythm Country and Blues". This was a film/audio recording of Nashville studio sessions pairing some of the most well-known R&B artists with some of the most well-known country artists and backed them up with A-list Nashville Cats. A great film and an even better CD, IMHO.

Anyway, there's a cut on there that pairs Little Richard and Tanya Tucker on a nice little cover of "Something Else". By the second verse they have got the saturation going so thick on Richard's vocal that it practically drips off the CD and onto the floor. But it sounds great, providing a very 50's rock & blues sound appropriate to that song.

This song and CD shoud be easily locatable on iTunes, I would think. If they have the whole CD, grab it. thare's some great stuff on there with some classic pairings (e.g. Staple Singers & Marty Stuart, Al Green & Lyle Lovett, etc.), A-list musicians and top name producers and engineers in great studios.

G.

How's Led-Zeppelin for well known? Pretty much every track on Zeppelin II was recorded way too hot for the tape. The effect is ruined when it went to CD though. If you can get your hands on a copy of the vinyl record, the analog clipping is a euphoric experience.

I can think of two examples right off:

1. Louie, Louie (as a matter of fact, the whole LP album on which Louie, Louie appears) by the Kingsmen.

2. The original B.B. King recording of Sweet Sixteen. But what a great record it is.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Define "well known". :)

One of my favorite examples of intentional analog overdrive/saturation - whether it's actually from tape, I'm not sure, but it sure is a classic analog saturation sound ...
This is harder for me than I thought! I tried to think of a few obvious examples of tape [media] overdrive or tape compression (not counting echoplex runaway type stuff like Frank Zappas 'Brain Police') but I think I'm having trouble telling if it was overdriving the preamps or the tape.

I have a CD remaster of AC/DC 'Back in Black' where I can hear the tape grainy-ness a bit but that's not what we're talking about IMO. Still thinking...maybe it is all about LZ... :D :confused:

Any Foriener vocal. Hot Blooded, Double Vision, Blue Morning, etc... Cold as Ice is really easiy to hear because the voice is alone at the beginning.

I was listening to Instant Karma earlier today - original Lennon version, and was remarking to myself how much distortion there is in the vocals. I have no idea, but it seems like they recorded the vocals right into the red to do this (just the loud parts get really chunky).

It sounds killer to me.

smtcharlie said:
I was listening to Instant Karma earlier today - original Lennon version, and was remarking to myself how much distortion there is in the vocals. I have no idea, but it seems like they recorded the vocals right into the red to do this (just the loud parts get really chunky).

It sounds killer to me.
You may be right. Beatles often overloaded preamps to get a sound. Even horn as in Savoy Truffel on white album( opps spelling) and Good morning, Good morning on pepper

PlayLikePage127 said:
How's Led-Zeppelin for well known? Pretty much every track on Zeppelin II was recorded way too hot for the tape. The effect is ruined when it went to CD though. If you can get your hands on a copy of the vinyl record, the analog clipping is a euphoric experience.

Bingo, I was gonna say this. Zep 1 opens up with complete distortion. It's tape distortion though so it sounds pretty glorious. I've got all of them on old vinyl copies and yes, they sound incredibly good on that format.

PlayLikePage127 said:
Why wouldn't that saturated sound transfer properly to CD?

Back