Does guitars low end and Bass low end tend to fight for the same low end?

videodrone

Should I be worried about the guitars low and bass low end fighting for space?

Or are they usually on different FREQ that they I wont have to sacrifice bottom end on one or the other to let them both "shine through"?

:D In this business, never worry! ( unless of course the friendly loan shark is there to collect your back due loan payment.)
Their low ends differ in octives, yes they can fight one another, yes careful subjective EQ will need to be employed.
You really have to use those ears to make the decision on how you want it to sound, also the other instruments/vocals in your mix play major role in decision making.

There is no one majic formula for success. The mix process is academic and artistic.

da MUTT

Thanks Mutley,

Im still a little confused, I realize that theres no formula, but as a rule of thumb,

Should I be conserned about my bass and guitar sharing low end and having issues.

Or are teh octave differences usually enough to make it by with just some corective EQing?

:cool: I wouldn't be If you have good monitors, lets give it a good healthy try!
The art of recording is just that, an art form. You may have to record a few takes, each time make an adjustment in playing/tone control/sometimes just vloume.
If both instruments are over satuated on the tape, they can both be a little muddy, that wont help! Watch those levels very carefully for the first few times until you are more comfortable with the whole process.
Take your time, experiment!! thats the whole key to the joys of making/recording music!!

Tonights asignment, lay down the bass, then the guitar. mix just the 2 and see how you like it.

da MUTT

muttley, what the HELL are you talking about..

look at the bass drum, see what frequencies it's occupying. if the bass guitar is masking the bass drum, then experiment making some cuts in these frequencies. also, in the low mids ,try some eq to give the bass some more body, see how that helps you. if you've got a load of bass guitar frequencies which are around the same area as the bass drum, it's not going to help your mix much.

Guitar and bass can definetly interfere w/ each other...especially the lower notes..

Most of the time you wanna cut anything below 250 Hz from the guitar..that'll leave room for bass guitar/kickdrum freq's..

:) Long wave; he didn't mention anything about drums, Otherwise I would have gone into more detail.
The guitars lower end is not going to be as low as the bass, Nothing was said if the guitar was electric or accoustic, I know they can share some of the lows, but not all of them.

lol, sorry muttley, there was another post about bassdrum and bass on here and i didin't understand what you were saying because i thought it was that! i was like "what the f*** is muttley on about!"

byeeeeee

videodrone said:
Should I be worried about the guitars low and bass low end fighting for space?

Or are they usually on different FREQ that they I wont have to sacrifice bottom end on one or the other to let them both "shine through"?
I'm trying to solve the same problem: the idea is to use a sidechain compressor on the bass, driven by the guitar so when the guitar kicks in, the bass' dynamic is dynamically :D adjusted...
But for now is only theory, cause I can't figure out how to use this fu#@$ng compressor!!! :(

brokenwindow said:
Guitar and bass can definetly interfere w/ each other...especially the lower notes..

Most of the time you wanna cut anything below 250 Hz from the guitar..that'll leave room for bass guitar/kickdrum freq's..

Good advice. I do this and it solves a LOT of that problem. I usually have 3-4 electric guitars going in my tunes and this low end stuff all adds up.

:cool: Lazer; If they make another one that works with your computer setup/or DAW that you are using, also if the instructions make sense to you, that you understand them.

da MUTT

I tend to cut all low end out of my guitar from roughly 100-120Hz and below. Sometimes I'll go in and push up a tiny bit at 50Hz when I'm doing metal guitars. When I do bass, I usually scoop out around 200-400 to eliminate some of the "boxy" sound.

Of course every situation is different but that's just how I do things.

For sure, they may interfere. Especially the palm muted notes on a heavily distorted guitar may kill the complete definition of your bass... Most often you'll have a lot of power not coming from the bass fundamentals but the higher harmonics. If you push these on the guitar (e.g. if you're looking for that 'killer sound' and you're listening to the git alone) they may completely kill your bass.

Whether you cut at 250 or 120 is rather a thing of taste and how you like your bass and guitar sounds...

But it depends a lot on the kind of sound you're doing - ymmv

aXel

Back