click tracks...

The rushing sounds like adrenalin to me. I had a bass player once who was really nervous on stage and pushed everything up to literally double speed! Remember to breathe and listen to yourself and (more importantly) the other band members. My timing tends to wander too and all of the other advice sounds excellent. Personally I had to learn when I used drum machines for a while. Frankly I hated the result, but once you can do it then you allow yourself to put some "soul" back in deliberately.

Ok, try this. I've used this in guitar lessons with a 7 year old, and a 45 year old and it works.

Pick three chords that you are comfortable with. G-Em-C. start out at 120 BPM on the metronome. Play the pattern through G G G G, Em Em Em Em, C C C C C C C C repeat.

Play those changes repeatedly for 3 minutes at 120 BPM, then slow it down to say 100 BPM, try to play those changes in time with the 'nome for 3 minutes. then speed it up to 140, then back to 120.

The point is, it doesn't really matter what you're playing, you're trying to develope the feel of locking to a tempo. but it does no good to stick on one tempo and that's it. vary it, but remain dedicated to the 3 minute thing before you change tempos.

i swear it works.

Back