Can I plug an electric guitar directly into microphone input of Presonus VXP preamp?

Nigie

I have a Presonus VXP which is working well for me as a mic preamp. Unfortunately it has no input for an electric guitar to plug straight into it. All it has is a mic in and a line-in input and send.

I wonder if I can plug my electric guitar into the BALANCED microphone input of the VXP with a lead having an UNBALANCED XLR at the VXP end and an unbalanced jack at the guitar end?

At present I'm doing this with a balanced lead but am probably not getting the whole signal from the guitar. Would a said unbalanced lead give me a compatible link between guitar and VXP in terms of impedence and everything?

Thankyou if anyone has some wisdom on this.

Nigel

microphone inputs are at one level
while line level inputs are at another level...
and these levels are significantly different

Thanks ork. I guess more to the point - are mic level inputs different to inputs received from a lead coming straight out of an electric guitar?

There's not just a difference in levels, there is the difference in impedence. Guitar pickups are very high impedence devices; most mic preamps don't deal well with that. Get a direct box (cheap ones go for about $35), plug the guitar into it, and the output of the box into your mic preamp. Problem solved.

Scott

Appreciate your replies BB and Scott. This is annoying but it's better than being ignorant on this matter...

Thanks again.

Back