ampex gold reel

they are nice i want to get a ampex gold reel

what is best 3" tape machine recorded for ampex gold reels i seen one in studio where i learned how to rap and i want to get one

do i need a new compressor or just vintage console like
neve
api
ssl
what makes and models where the best

do i need digital instead

is otari a good tape recording company will they make me a new machine if it breaks?

Unfotunately Ampex is out of business so they no longer issue "gold reel" awards... which were 1/2" reels on a black platic background with a plaque.

If you really want one I'll be happy to sell you one of mine.

The only 3" tape machine was made by MCI. It was a 3" 32 track machine that I don't believe ever got out of the prototype phase. The coolest part of that machine was that it ran at 20 ips which gave you 80% of the noise benefit of running at 30 ips with about 80% of the low end benefit of running at 15 ips and required significantly less EQ than either of the other formats... unfortunately the standard never took hold though you can get close if you take an AC motor machine [like a Studer J-37] and run it on its 15 ips setting on 60Hz US power [which brings it up to like 22 ips or something around that].

Fletcher said:
Unfotunately Ampex is out of business so they no longer issue "gold reel" awards... which were 1/2" reels on a black platic background with a plaque.

If you really want one I'll be happy to sell you one of mine.

The only 3" tape machine was made by MCI. It was a 3" 32 track machine that I don't believe ever got out of the prototype phase. The coolest part of that machine was that it ran at 20 ips which gave you 80% of the noise benefit of running at 30 ips with about 80% of the low end benefit of running at 15 ips and required significantly less EQ than either of the other formats... unfortunately the standard never took hold though you can get close if you take an AC motor machine [like a Studer J-37] and run it on its 15 ips setting on 60Hz US power [which brings it up to like 22 ips or something around that].

That was way more information than this clown needed.

fletch, who did you get a gold reel for?

my boss has like 10 of em hanging up outside our new studio. i wish i could get one .. too late now though.

as a serious note, do they have like a comparable award now? the RCA golden uhhh MP3 download ?? :) :D :D

Back