Zoom S2t into Audacity help

Newbie023

So, I've got my guitar plugged into a ZOOM S2t via the HiZ input, and I'm using the ZFX software to get distortion and different sounds. BUT, when I try and record with audacity I'm only getting the bare, clean without any of the distortion or effects that I hear in my headphones as I record...

I also tried recording with Ableton Live Intro 8 and got the same results.

I'm not familiar with the what you're doing and how you're doing it, but if you're going from an electric guitar to an interface to your DAW then you're recording a clean signal and would be applying the distortion/whatever effects via a bus, and not actually recording them.

Ditch Audacity is my other advice, it's not really a multi-track recording program.

I'm not familiar with the what you're doing and how you're doing it, but if you're going from an electric guitar to an interface to your DAW then you're recording a clean signal and would be applying the distortion/whatever effects via a bus, and not actually recording them.

Ditch Audacity is my other advice, it's not really a multi-track recording program.

What would you recommend then? (I'm strapped for cash right now, so something free, atleast initially, would be great)

Reaper is a fully functional DAW, with full use of the program in the free demo. You pay when you decide you want to.

I would say that is your best place to start.

Reaper[/URL] is a fully functional DAW, with full use of the program in the free demo. You pay when you decide you want to.

I would say that is your best place to start.

I downloaded Reaper and tried recording, but got the same result: no distortion or effects just the absolute bare guitar signal.

Then you need to dig further into how the software works. If you record directly into your interface, without processing, then that is what will be recorded. You will need to place the amp sim as an insert on the track you are recording to. This is a good thing, as you will be able to change the amp/tone after you record the track. Just insert a guitar sim into the track you recorded, and get to work finding the right tone for the tune. :)

Then you need to dig further into how the software works. If you record directly into your interface, without processing, then that is what will be recorded. You will need to place the amp sim as an insert on the track you are recording to. This is a good thing, as you will be able to change the amp/tone after you record the track. Just insert a guitar sim into the track you recorded, and get to work finding the right tone for the tune. :)

The SFX program has an export option for each patch, and I tried exporting a few different ones to the plugins and FX folders under the Reaper program folder, but they did not show up when I searched for them when running Reaper itself.

I did some more research and discovered that many other S2t users have had the exact same problem, going several years back, with no solution. One commentator did say that he was able to make it work with Sony acid pro 7 or something, but he said it took him days of tweaking to figure out -_-

I also found a YouTube of a guy going through the recording process step by step, but it's entirely in Japanese and the video quality is like 20p so I can barely make out what it is he's doing. But from what I can see he's doing basically the same process with the input setup and all that.

I tinkered with the VSTs included with Reaper, and they sound decent, but the ZFX sim sounds so much more rounded and polished.

Or if you guys could recommend a good VST guitar effects set that is Reaper compatible that would be awesome too . Thanks.

Reaper should work fine with any VSTs as long as it knows where they are. Depending upon how the VST file/s and/or folder/s that you're exporting are structured, Reaper may not know it's there...

Put a direct path to it via the Options menu and restart Reaper. If it's found it you'll see it load in the start up screen.

Reaper should work fine with any VSTs as long as it knows where they are. Depending upon how the VST file/s and/or folder/s that you're exporting are structured, Reaper may not know it's there...

Put a direct path to it via the Options menu and restart Reaper. If it's found it you'll see it load in the start up screen.

I found the file folder in the SFX program file that contains all the .dlls, and Reaper scanned the folder for a few seconds, but there aren't any new VSTs.

I WAS able to get SFX to work easily with the RiffWorks recording program. The only problem is that the full version is something like $130. And the trial version is annoying as hell.

Back