Why do I have trouble with preamp BlueTube going into interface Profire2626?

mofat

I thought it would sound better with higher gains but it's just the opposite. Sounds tiny and muffled. I have it set up as Mic-->BlueTube-->Profire. Any thoughts?

"More/higher gain" is not the objective. Correct gain staging is.

Are you running a preamp into a preamp? Both the devices in your chain are/have preamps - you need to provide more information on exactly how you've plugged it all together.

And what are you miking? Voice? Instrument? What mic? What room?

Personally I'm not sure your Presonus box is going to be adding much quality to the equation but I've not used either it or the Profire... are you using it because you want "tube warmth" ;)

There are probably other factors at play in your typical HR situation that will have a greater effect on your final sound that whether you go in via the Presonus box, or the M-Audio box, or both... room, monitors, mic, mic position etc.

More info = good, dude.

I thought it would sound better with higher gains but it's just the opposite. Sounds tiny and muffled. I have it set up as Mic-->BlueTube-->Profire. Any thoughts?
is that the one where one 'gain is the solid state pre amp, the second (has a different name.. was actually driving and/or mixing in the tube' effect? My recollection was that was the one good for leaving off
But like the others said there could be nine other things going on too.

I think I had a loose connection to the mic the first time. This time it sounds ok. I couldn't tell if the Tube Drive knob did anything...can't tell if my voice sounded warmer or not. Does tube preamp really work?

Back