What size of monitors for my spare bedroom?

devilsgirth

My room is 9 feet by 13.5 - 14 feet (it's practically a rectangle but a bit oddly shaped in some parts. Ill attach an image of it.) I was thinking of getting a pair of yamaha hs8's but Im not sure if an 8 inch monitor is too big? I've heard some people saying that 8 inches in a small - medium sized room will cause some kind of problems? They say it won't be near-field. Although other people say to just turn the monitors down and it's fine. Apparently the bigger the monitor, the better the bass response so I was hoping to go with 8's so I don't have to purchase an extra subwoofer, I like simplicity. If not the 8 then I was looking at the hs7. Any thoughts guys? I've never owned or used monitors before, up until now I have just been using grades headphones. I plan on treating my room too by the way. Oh and in terms of what music Im going to be making, basically all kinds. Anything from rock and heavy metal to electronic and house, to acoustic guitars and singing.

I dont see a problem with 8 inch in that room size. My control room is very close in size to yours and I have a couple pairs of 8's in their. Im not sure what a subwoofer would be doing for you. You'll be mixing to stereo, right?

Most lower end 8" monitors don't produce enough bass for all types of music (metal, techno need good bass response and range). I immediately felt the need to add a sub to my pair of 8".

I wouldn't even think to go smaller that 8", I've had 5" monitors in the past and they just lacked in the lower mids and especially anything below 100hz.

Back