This is what I have

Roland vs 880 vxpanded

dual tray CD burner

8 ch. mixer

Vocal MIC.

Zoom rt123 drum macine

Cassette deck

prs 225 gm

PS I'm planning on getting a behringer 24 ch. mixer.

I'm thinking about going into business making dining room tables. I've got a circular saw, a hammer, some wood glue, a protractor, and a level. Oh, and a couple good trees in my backyard to use.

How much can i charge?

:D

changed my mind. i got a pretty decent digital camera and some software. how much can i charge people for taking wedding photos?

trax said:
What should I charge.

This is what I have

Roland vs 880 vxpanded

dual tray CD burner

8 ch. mixer

Vocal MIC.

Zoom rt123 drum macine

Cassette deck

prs 225 gm

PS I'm planning on getting a behringer 24 ch. mixer.
Well... right now, you're at the point of YOU PAYING to record THEM....!!! :p

Charge for what??? What the hell can you do for any band with that gear?? You can only do monorecordings. :confused:

Anyway, it depends on how good you are. What's your experience with 'doing' older men at the moment? How's your tonguetechnique? It all depends, you know...

sorry for not getting an answer so far trax. i'd say $15 is reasonable if you can put out a decent product with your gear

Were just bustin your balls kid. Welcome to the BBS.

In all seriousness just record your friends and if you can get some money out of it for more gear than great. I've been doing this shit for almost 20yrs and have way more gear than you and I get nervous about charging money for my home studio.

Once people start to pay you then you are obligated to deliver them a certain product within a certain amount of time. That can take all the fun out of it for you and the client if you don't know how to deliver.

And it can even get you way past 'not having fun'. A paying client has expectations. If you're not sure you can reach these expectations, whatever happens, then you shouldn't charge him, or charge less. Look to what you'd expect for yourself if you were to record at a studio for a certain price... Still, you won't get far with only one mic.

So, outline for yourself, with this material I can do ...., but I cannot do ....
Then, see what quality you can deliver, and compare the prices of other local studios. That studio delivers that kindof quality, and has that gear, for this price. Where am I when it comes to this.

From your gearlist, I think you should first get some more gear, and gain some experience recording bands/friends for free. You cannot just record a band and make something of it. It's something you need experience for. LOADS to learn...

trax

You needs some microphones man! You cant record a band with 1 mic. Dont bother getting the behringer mixer, thats a waste of money right now. You should be concerned with getting these things insted of a beh'shitter mixer:
Kick drum mic: beta 52, e602, D112, atm25
small dia condensors for overheads: mk012, or the mxl ones, ecm-8000
compressor: behringer composser(best thing behringer makes), or a fmr audio RNC
snare, guitar etc: sm57 (a jack of all trades mic)
preamps: dmp-3, used mackie mixer(decent pre's to go around) RNMP, used aphex 107.
you cant charge to do something you dont know how to do well(your lack of equipment shows this)

Very true on the mixer!!! No need for 24 channels if you have just one mic! You should get up to 7 more mics before you can even start thinking about a new mixer! And stands! And cables! And more cables! And adaptor cables of all sorts! And a girlfriend! :eek:

No. Wait. That girlfriend should go on my list. :rolleyes:

Charge as much as you can get away with. I would start with whatever your friends can afford. Milk them for all its worth. Then buy more gear with your profits. Then go after people by advertising in local publications. Milk everyone for whatever you can get away with..Buy even more gear. You continue this ladder until you have no room for the gear and have learned loads on at the expense of other people. Take your client list to the bank, get a loan then build your own place.

Good Luck.

SoMm

You guys are brutal! :D At this point, I think you shouldn't be thinking about making money. I would try to record as many friends who are willing to pay you like $100 per session and you should take advantage and learn the art of recording. It will take some time (and better equipment) before you can start charging enough to at least recover your investment. Good Luck! and welcome to the BBS!

Hey trax, you live in atlanta? Cool. I live about a hour and 20mins or so north from atlanta. With the gear you got, you can really do anything much but record yourself and friends right now. But it's more then i had when i got started (4 track and a radio shack mic???:D) how old are you? just keep practicing and saving money for more and more gear and you'll get there.

good luck and welcome to the bbs

Zeke

In the beginning there were no multitracks, just mono. There were single mics and minimal dynamic processing. So 4 tracks is more than enough to get the ball going. Having 8 is even better. With the equipment list he has he should be able to learn and grow. Mistakes will happen and no mix is ever done. $100 a session is pretty decent if you can keep the sessions coming. $10 to $15 per hour is a good place to start. Move it up or down until things begin to click.

SoMm

I have to disagree here... How is he gonna keep the gigs coming if he's only got ONE mic?? And judging from his gearlist, this is not gonna be a 500$ mic!

Anyone with a PC and a decent soundblaster can do recordings. And for 100$, they can probably just buy the same mic as he has. Or they can get 2 ECM8000, and since most bands have some sort of mixer in their vocal setup, they can do stereo recordings on their own!

If you want to charge people, you gotta have the equipement necessary to make a decent recording. And you need experience. You don't get experience from ripping of friends. You get experience by recording these friends over and over again, trying different things. And since YOU are the one that is experimenting, it's actually YOU that should pay THEM. But, if you agree that you'll give them the recording, and you'll do the best you can, they will play for you just as many times as you need to experiment, and you''l have a healthy relationship with the band. And once you've gotten better equipement, and some experience, that band will surely come to you to record their demo, since they know you, they know what you're worth, and they know that you are the best guy for their bands, since you have grown with them, know what they want to sound like, ...

Another thing you should do is get mixing experience, and start doing live-mixing for the bands you experience with. That's THE way to get mixing experience. You start doing this for free, since there's alot for you to learn. Once you can assure that you'll get them to sound better as 70% of the clubmixers (which is not THAT hard since you know the band and their sound), you can start charging them.

You don't grow as a mixer/recording engineer by ripping of people. You NEED friends in this business, and alot of 'em. I know ALL the bands in my area. They ALL know me, and I've been livemixer for the best of 'em. I got to know ALOT of other engineers, they are all helping me out if I ask them... And I HARDLY EVER asked a price. In fact, the first paying demo is planned this month, and I've been recording for over 2 years now. I've got about 8 mics, and ALOT more. I can assure a decent recording, a decent mic, and some basic mastering. Now I can get in the local business, doing budget recordings. Budget, since I record on lacation, and don't have the mics and rooms the local budgetstudio has. But most people have more faith in me since my demo's have always sound just as good as the ones from that studio.

Now, THAT's the point you can start asking $$. When you can deliver the quality necessary to compete with the other local budgetstudios. If you can't do that, you'll never get any customer. Local bands are all familiar with eachother, from sharing the same stages. Rip one band, and you'll loose 5 others!

Back