5 38.46%
  • none

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What media do you use ?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've got stuff on every category except DAT. Most everything is either on hard drive or SD card for recording, but listening is either hard drive or CD. If I'm giving it to someone else, it will either be on a flash drive or a CDR. That depends on what the other person uses. I guess I could even put it on a cassette, but I haven't really recorded anything to cassette in years.

Different choices for different uses.

Thanks
    Most of my cassettes melted in the attic. Which is probably a good thing. What would a 60 year old man do with a punk mix tape from 1980. The CD's are all gone, too. They were all transferred to hard disk and sent on to meet there maker at the thrift shop. I hope the poor benefit from my bad taste in music. I once had a load of albums. That's what they use to call vinyl. I believe the term has now been rendered generically to mean a collection of songs. And I believe that such collections have largely been eliminated by downloading. Most of my vinyl "albums" were replaced in the late 70's. They weighed too much and were a pain every time I moved. I mean what can you do with ten Neil Young albums? Trade them for Joy Division cassettes and lighten you load.

The first recordings I ever did were on 8 track. And, no, not reel-to-reel. Eight track as in the small rectangular plastic boxes filled with tape organized into eight tracks. Talk about a passing phase and a short-lived technological form! I also had an eight track player in my car--an early 1970's Dodge Demon, which is also long gone. After that, I graduated to the high tech world of cassette tape. Since I'm an idiot, I tried to record using two cassette decks. What a mess! Then came four-track and then ADAT. After that, I had a stand alone hard disk recorder and finally several generations of Mac's stuffed with DP (that sounds bad) and finally an i-Mac with Logic. But I'm putting my foot down at any other changes, however. I've been through too much. I'm old and I give up. The cloud can stay in the sky as far as I'm concerned and streaming services can go down stream out into the ocean.

END OF LONG WINDED OLD MAN STORY

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Most of my cassettes melted in the attic. Which is probably a good thing. What would a 60 year old man do with a punk mix tape from 1980. The CD's are all gone, too. They were all transferred to hard disk and sent on to meet there maker at the thrift shop. I hope the poor benefit from my bad taste in music. I once had a load of albums. That's what they use to call vinyl. I believe the term has now been rendered generically to mean a collection of songs. And I believe that such collections have largely been eliminated by downloading. Most of my vinyl "albums" were replaced in the late 70's. They weighed too much and were a pain every time I moved. I mean what can you do with ten Neil Young albums? Trade them for Joy Division cassettes and lighten you load.

The first recordings I ever did were on 8 track. And, no, not reel-to-reel. Eight track as in the small rectangular plastic boxes filled with tape organized into eight tracks. Talk about a passing phase and a short-lived technological form! I also had an eight track player in my car--an early 1970's Dodge Demon, which is also long gone. After that, I graduated to the high tech world of cassette tape. Since I'm an idiot, I tried to record using two cassette decks. What a mess! Then came four-track and then ADAT. After that, I had a stand alone hard disk recorder and finally several generations of Mac's stuffed with DP (that sounds bad) and finally an i-Mac with Logic. But I'm putting my foot down at any other changes, however. I've been through too much. I'm old and I give up. The cloud can stay in the sky as far as I'm concerned and streaming services can go down stream out into the ocean.

END OF LONG WINDED OLD MAN STORY
    if only

my open reel tape is gone
    my 8" floppies are gone
    my 5" floppies are gone
    my diskettes are gone
    my zip disks are gone
    my super disk is gone

something else I cant remember is gone - and I dont mean my memory I hope

still have usb HD and memory sticks

still running xp and even win98se
    although i was forced to get 8.1 and 10 to run some of the newer software

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    if only

my open reel tape is gone
    my 8" floppies are gone
    my 5" floppies are gone
    my diskettes are gone
    my zip disks are gone
    my super disk is gone

something else I cant remember is gone - and I dont mean my memory I hope

still have usb HD and memory sticks

still running xp and even win98se
    although i was forced to get 8.1 and 10 to run some of the newer software
    It would be sad if you missed the miracle of four track cassette. That was magic. One day there was no consumer multitrack recording and then there was. It appeared around the same time as the Sony Walkman--another miracle that the iPod generation doesn't really appreciate. Can you imagine what it was like to walk and listen to music for the first time? Better than space travel!

Thanks
    It would be sad if you missed the miracle of four track cassette. That was magic. One day there was no consumer multitrack recording and then there was. It appeared around the same time as the Sony Walkman--another miracle that the iPod generation doesn't really appreciate. Can you imagine what it was like to walk and listen to music for the first time? Better than space travel!
    i still have a two track stereo cassette

it was not worth selling and looks so nice on the shelf that i kept it
    will be getting rid of my vinyl TT soon though

Thanks
    I believe the term has now been rendered generically to mean a collection of songs.
    Album (the Latin neuter form of albus, meaning white) meant a collection long before the LP. It was a book with blank pages which you filled with pictures or mementos or whatever. In the days of the 78rpm record they would market them in multi-disc sets in a book form reminiscent of a photo album. When the LP came out they could put the equivalent of fourteen 10" 78s on one disc, but they kept calling it an album. It's a perfectly reasonable term for a collection of songs.

I used to call them albums and singles, but now I use LP and 45 to refer to the specific formats I grew up with.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Album (the Latin neuter form of albus, meaning white) meant a collection long before the LP. It was a book with blank pages which you filled with pictures or mementos or whatever. In the days of the 78rpm record they would market them in multi-disc sets in a book form reminiscent of a photo album. When the LP came out they could put the equivalent of fourteen 10" 78s on one disc, but they kept calling it an album. It's a perfectly reasonable term for a collection of songs.

I used to call them albums and singles, but now I use LP and 45 to refer to the specific formats I grew up with.
    I prefer the nomenclature of the early 80's which often described vinyl by it's dimensions: 12', 7", 6",etc. or by terms like extended play or EP. The 1970's was all about free love. The 80's institutionalized sexuality and just about everything (including albums) was portrayed in sexual terms.

Thanks
    I hate getting rid of the old stuff, but eventually its probably going to get tossed. The problem is that so much of that stuff might not be usable in a few more years. Most of my 7" tape reels and about 150 albums were ruined in a basement flood about 15 years ago. The cassette deck will still play but the belts and rubber wheels slip a lot on rewind and fast forward. My 4 track Dokorder is still in the basement, but hasn't been fired up in probably 20 years. I have a Sony stereo tape deck that I want to use to transfer a few remaining 7 inch reels. This is stuff that my dad recorded on his reel to reel in the late 50s (which I still have, doubt it will fire up, tho.).

This past winter I ran into an issue where I started transferring old family movies to digital. My dad had transferred his 8mm movie films to VHS years ago because projectors and film were getting hard to work with. This was stuff from the mid 50s. I had those VHS tapes, and a bunch of Hi8 video movies as well. After trying 3 VHS players from the closet I found one that still worked. I have one Hi8 that still worked out of 3.

I spent the best part of two months transferring all those to DVD and then dumping to MP4 files. Copies were then given to the rest of the family so that we have duplicates. Then a friend came over with about 20 of her Hi8 tapes. Now she has all of those transferred to DVD and MP4. Once they get into digital format, its more easily stored and preserved.

When they talk about tape being good for 50 years it sounds great, until you reach the age where you are pulling out tape and film that is 70 years old.

The next phase of the project is digitizing the family photographs. The first batch includes stuff taken in 1938-48 time frame.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    I hate getting rid of the old stuff, but eventually its probably going to get tossed. The problem is that so much of that stuff might not be usable in a few more years. Most of my 7" tape reels and about 150 albums were ruined in a basement flood about 15 years ago. The cassette deck will still play but the belts and rubber wheels slip a lot on rewind and fast forward. My 4 track Dokorder is still in the basement, but hasn't been fired up in probably 20 years. I have a Sony stereo tape deck that I want to use to transfer a few remaining 7 inch reels. This is stuff that my dad recorded on his reel to reel in the late 50s (which I still have, doubt it will fire up, tho.).

This past winter I ran into an issue where I started transferring old family movies to digital. My dad had transferred his 8mm movie films to VHS years ago because projectors and film were getting hard to work with. This was stuff from the mid 50s. I had those VHS tapes, and a bunch of Hi8 video movies as well. After trying 3 VHS players from the closet I found one that still worked. I have one Hi8 that still worked out of 3.

I spent the best part of two months transferring all those to DVD and then dumping to MP4 files. Copies were then given to the rest of the family so that we have duplicates. Then a friend came over with about 20 of her Hi8 tapes. Now she has all of those transferred to DVD and MP4. Once they get into digital format, its more easily stored and preserved.

When they talk about tape being good for 50 years it sounds great, until you reach the age where you are pulling out tape and film that is 70 years old.

The next phase of the project is digitizing the family photographs. The first batch includes stuff taken in 1938-48 time frame.
    true
    it is easier

until that media is obsolete and you have to repeat with the newest media

this is a major problem with the LOC
    they have stuff they copied from films and wire and wax and tapes into digital
    but now their first digital media has no players being made nor more media to make new copies
    so they move onto yet newer technology trying to convert their old digital to newer digital

ironic is that they have books several hundred years old that you can still read and use just fine

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    ironic is that they have books several hundred years old that you can still read and use just fine
    Maybe..... Have you ever tried reading some of the old books? Certain types of paper will just disintegrate if you pull on it much. 50 year old newspapers can fall apart in your hand if they haven't been stored just right.

I think we have an easier chance of converting MP4 and VOB files to other digital formats in the future. Somebody somewhere will write an Mpeg4 to Mpeg100 or .h264 to .h634 converter.

Thread Information