What to improve after the A/D converter ?? TYks

Papoola

Hi, I have a Korg D 16 digital multitrack recorder that is able to accept analog input (my Nord lead 2 synth) at 16 or 24 bit.
To get more tracks I used till know 16 bit with decent results.
Now, being in the process to start a 2nd production I wanted to upgrade the sound quality.
Expecially I consider the analog out of korg D 16 quite poor and I expect that the A/D converters due to the Korg price budget will be just borderline, so just going up to 24 bits with Korg could be still a limit.
I just bought a MindPrint 24/ 48 A/D converter (Digiport) www.mdsystem.com that according to some musicians is quite good.
These days I will start using it and I will use only optical connections between itself and the Korg.
Do you expect good improvements too ??? Korg dynamic is 96dB and MindPrint should be around 114 dB !!!

Now as a future step of improvement what do you think of selling the Korg D 16 and buy sound cards like RME (full digital with no converters on board, and I could use again my MindPrint) and starting computer sequenced recordings ??
Till now I must admit was reluctant to go for PC systems as I have fear of learning curves etc etc. But every day I disclose around some good things about using PC.

My first approach to the PC is now having exported the premixed tracks on Korg to make the final editing. And this was OK (Digitally exported as wav files and then edited with WaveLab)

To complete the picture I would like to buy an external FX gear like TC or Alesis to improve the internal effects of Korg (are external gears better isn’so ??) and again I could avoid this using very good VST plug-ins.
Last question before you kick me out is; do you support me in doing all steps at 24 bit 48 Khz and then doing the dithering inside the PC at the final stage with Wave 3.0 Ultramaximizer ??? (Listen of good words about it)
TKS A LOT

Back