Wharfedale "pro"

BTW, this is not for studio use, it is for a home theater use....and black not gray would be the preferred color of the cabinet.

The specs look more like PA speakers to me...just how big is your theatre?

I use my tracking room as a home theatre as well...with a 12' dlp projector and DTS sound with an 18" subwoofer.

Hope this doesn't show up to big.....but here it is:

100_0351.jpg

It is about 19' from screen to back row, 12' wide, and 8' high. I know they are "PA" speakers, but (not that I believe in marketing or I would own all Behringer stuff), but they list one of the uses: Studio, whatever they mean by that. My wife needed a new laptop for work, so I sold my beloved Klipsch THX Ultra 2, front three, and I got to keep half and she got to keep half, :eek:. So I have $600 ish, to spend on speakers. The speakers I had had a sensitivity of 94dB, and that was just about right to fill the room with earth shattering sound effects with a Onkyo 805 receiver powering them (about 160watts a channel into 8ohms, from the reviews, if my memory is correct). And finding something with that sensitivity in the home or passive studio speaker is hard to stay with in budget. Again that is $600 for three speakers. My sub is a Epik 15" Knight, which I am more then fine with...

I have a matching set of Linieum brand speakers with 12" drivers...I have a set of Klipsh Bells in my living room...
With the megavideo you can search any movie and watch it instantly...alot like netflix.com.

You have a 12' screen?

I bought a small real theatre screen from a company called Roscoe in canada...it was the smallest the would ship...it costed $150...one for a home theatre from DaLite or Draper would have been up to $2000 for the same thing.

I have a 16' canvas I like to hang off the back porch and Ill take the DLP out there on summer nights.

I built my screen from black out fabric, if you or anyone knows what that is. Good basic DIY screen, 103" diagonal.

Anyways you think these Titans are going to suck, cause they arrive next week, not sure if they shipped and I am having second thoughts. But I guess I can return or craigslist them if I hate them. My back up is www.HsuResearch.com , HB-1's. I guess I just want to see what a 12" with a compression horn, a sensitivity rating of 98dB can do down in my cave. BTW, my Onkyo does have Audssessy for automatic FIR EQ of all channels. So I am hoping that Audssessy can tame the Titans if they need to be.

I cant be sure until I heard the things...normally horns can come off tinny and beamy...depends on how they are designed.

Electrostats are my preference.

I think before you worry about speakers, I'd put some treatment on those walls and especially corners.

I think before you worry about speakers, I'd put some treatment on those walls and especially corners.

The front is treated. Front 6 feet or so (the panorama doesn't show it very well), and under the screen. The problem with the rear, is the walk ways. What you can't see is they are very narrow, and not to mention, the wife acceptance factor is well stretched as far as acoustical treatment goes.

100_0449.jpg

100_0452.jpg

BTW, this is also my tracking room, and I really only record vocals so as far as sound, it does sound pretty good to me...

I know Ethan is against, a live end/dead end of a room, but really if I could do more I would for treatment.

Last edited:
Back