VST EQ? Izotope? T-Racks? Mastering?

Opivy

Nova Police
Sorry for the incredibly hard to understand thread name - but it's keywords ;).

Really, I just want to learn to make a good mix before even trying to understand the mastering process - but I'm not understanding the difference between the EQ I'm using built in my DAW (Cubase 5) and ones that can be downloaded or even bought.

I've been reading threads about "T-racks" and "Izotope"(which I've heard one of my friends rave about for mastering) used to EQ tracks.

So far, I've just been playing around with the EQ that I can easily access without adding an insert on my track.

What is the difference between using my built in EQ - as opposed to T-racks or Izotope? I was under the impression that both of these were Inserts with many many different functions -
and it seems to me using these VST's to EQ multiple tracks would crash my computer.

There is more to mastering than just EQ. Ozone and TRacks are similar to the tools you would use that came with your DAW, but they are all in the same plugin. They also have a library with tons of terrible presets. I haven't been doing this very long, but I'm yet to hear a mix that these "Instant Mastering" plugins don't completely ruin.

What is the difference between using my built in EQ - as opposed to T-racks or Izotope? I was under the impression that both of these were Inserts with many many different functions -
and it seems to me using these VST's to EQ multiple tracks would crash my computer.

The simple answer is very little. All EQ's, built in, plug-ins, and outboard do the same thing. The differences is how they do it, or the coloration they may add to the sound. You were doing the right thing learning the EQ you are using. Once you are able to dial that up, you can use any EQ and then you will hear the subtle differences.

As to your second question, several EQ's may load your CPU. It depends on the EQ code, and your computer spec. Some EQ's are very processor friendly and others are real hogs.

Different EQ's may have different filters. For example, ReaEQ (the EQ that comes with REAPER) has, in my opinion, terrible high/low-pass curves, so I would much rather use another EQ for surgical work (I currently use NoName EQ, since Electri-Q is highly buggy and unstable in REAPER).

Some EQ's also add coloration to your signal. Sometimes this is a good thing. Normally if you bump up the highs in a regular EQ, things get harsh real quick, but if you do this in, say, UAD Pultec, it sounds good all the way to 10 (depending on the source, that is).

I think Redlines EQ, which features quite a bit of colouring if wanted, and fabilters Pro EQ cover just about all EQ needs but are $100+ each

the ones that come in your cubase probably come with all the flexibility you need and most of the tools for mastering..I know that Ableton and Sonar do for me

there is nothing wrong with Ozone or T Racks its presets that are the problem...these are just chains of mastering FX that cubase, and most DAWs, all ready have

I can generally get a good result out of the same VSTs time and time again...a compressor, a limiter, an EQ that is fine enough to cut/gain by small increments, a stereo tool and thats about it....sometimes the track only needs a limiter...sometimes EQ and a compressor..that generally gets it loud enough and adds a little polish (if needed)

If you seriously wanted to master your tracks for commercial use I'd suggest a professional..if not just make sure you have decent versions of the above plugs and learn how to use them

Many mastering houses (online) will master a track for free as a sample so you could do this and see if you can match it?? Ive thought about doing this in the future but after a year at this Im still not comfortable with mixing...so it can all wait :)

thanks guys =)

I'm not interested in trying to master anything yet - I'm just trying to learn to make a nice sounding mix.

Kcearl said:
I think Redlines EQ, which features quite a bit of colouring if wanted, and fabilters Pro EQ cover just about all EQ needs but are $100+ each

Are these inserts you would use to mix with?

thanks guys =)

I'm not interested in trying to master anything yet - I'm just trying to learn to make a nice sounding mix.

Are these inserts you would use to mix with?

I would but they dont really warrant the price when the ones I have suffice most of the time....mines didnt add much colour (not that I record much that needs it) so I bought this bundle for $41 which offers much better value

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/bundles.htm

I also got their sixtyfive compressor which is excellent and $15

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/sixtyfive.htm

if you know your way around the freebies out there then $100+ EQs are wasted on the many in the hobbiest market...myself included

Sorry to ask the same question again - Especially since I've seen at least 2 "mastering" threads come up recently -

But does anyone use these programs to Mix? Or can they be useful for Eqing and dynamic inserts before mastering?

I keep reading how good T-Racks EQ is - but Can't tell if people are speaking of the mastering process, or inserting on to individual tracks

Ther are no rules. You can use any plug for mixing or mastering. There seems to be general misunderstanding about what mixing and mastering really are.

For example, I use Sonar as my DAW and will insert plugs on each individual track when I'm "mixing". After I have everything the way I want, I can mix this down into one file and import this back into my DAW. Now I insert plugs on the master bus and this is considered "mastering". Well, what if I had inserted the plugs on the master bus when I was still mixing. Would this not be considered mastering.

The mastering process got it's name from the idea that you needed $$$ worth of equipment to finish a track properly. So, you would mix the best you could and then send that mix to a proffesional studio to do the mastering. For best results, you still should do this, but with todays computer power and DAW quality, mastering can be done in the home studio.

I'd like to see the terms mixing and mastering changed to reflect current equipment. To me, I track a song which is the actual recording. Then I mix it to set all the track levels, pan, eq etc. When this is done, I add a few plugs to the main bus to polish the mix. Leave the term mastering for when a mix is sent to a pro studio.

Well, that was a bit of a rant. To answer your question though, any of the "mastering plugs" can be used on individual tracks. Like rfahey86 said, it all depends if your cpu is up to it.

thanks guys =) My main questions were regarding EQ because I'm still very confused about the difference between plugins and ones that came with my DAW.

Also, I'm not very happy with the Reverbs that Cubase has on it - although I may not be using them properly (but that goes in another thread.... which I will probably make very shortly)

But still my question remains, Do any of you use an insert for EQ?(for mixing) or is it a waste of money/strain on your cpu

it does =). I'm wondering if there will really be any sort of difference using any sort of (including expensive) VST insert as an EQ.

But I think I've gotten my answer. Won't be wasting any time or money on extra EQ's.

I am using T-Racks 3 De-luxe and love it. I tried the demo for Izotope Ozone 4 and liked this too but preferred the sound, layout and the ability to load each individual component of T-Racks 3 as a separate VST.

I find that I use the Fairchild 670 compressor and the T-Racks Pultec and classic eq' quite a bit on tracks. I also like the others and use these when they suit!

I'm also a big fan of the Stillwell Audio stuff and use Vibe EQ, Bombardier and The Rocket loads.

Other excellent cheap EQ's are the DDMF IIEQ Pro, LP10 and Color EQ.

http://www.ddmf.eu/products.php

I thought T-racks was one single Insert though?

Does it come as like a combined package so you can insert any of the separate effects you want onto a track?

I thought T-racks was one single Insert though?

Does it come as like a combined package so you can insert any of the separate effects you want onto a track?

Yes!

You can either insert the whole of T-Racks 3 or load each effect separately which I find really cool!!

Back