US-800 TASCAM - clicking sound

JMZ419

I recently bought a TASCAM US-800 and I really like it. I'm using it with Cubase 5 LE and Garageband and it sounds cool, but there is a clicking sound in the background when I playback. I don't hear the clicking while I'm recording or just jamming through the interface. Any ideas?

Thanks!

It isn't the metronome click -- I've got the metronome off for playback and recording. It's a light click at different frequencies randomly through the recording. I've tried different USB, XLR, and "1/4 cables and different mics and guitars ... can't figure out what's going on

Yeah I have all of the new drivers. Initially I couldn't get the interface to make any connection with Cubase at all, but when I downloaded the new driver it worked fine. Until this clicking came up

Pro tools used to do that on my PC with win 7 (Glad I switched to mac), I used to reboot my PC and it would go away for a little while. The only thing that really fixed it was to reformat that Hard Drive and do a clean install of Win 7 and Pro Tools. Use it for a little bit and if it doesn't screw up then you can install your other programs. Do them one at a time and use Cubase between installing them. When you feel comfortable that it is working fine then install the next one. Repeat until finished.

Make sure there isn't a 'firmware' update for the interface on Tascam website. Also, what else are you running on your USB 2.0 buss? The Tascam's can be finicky sharing a a hub. Also, how long is your USB2 cable, and is it a good one. The length limit for a quality one is 10 feet.

Thanks for the help .... I don't have anything else plugged in and I'm using a good/short USB. Listening back now, it's starting to sound more like a sparsely placed crackle rather than a series of pops

the only reason I think it might be something wrong with the interface is that when I use the same USB to plug in my USB mic, it works perfectly fine. Are there any settings that I may have wrong?

Try bouncing the tracks to .wav's. then play them back in itunes (whatever program you choose) using your computer speakers. If it is on the track then you know it isn't your interface. Are you sure it's not digital clipping?

USB mic? I wont ask why you still have one of those just to avoid the whole thing.....

You obviously have something interfering with the communication between your interface and your PC. Sorry for the obvious question; Have you optimized performance for audio recording on your PC? And again, firmware update available for your device? I don't want to sound like a daddy here, but answer the responses to your questions before asking new ones is a good thing. :D

Back