Upright piano digital recording setup?

hcaudill

I'm a pianist and would like to make digital recordings. I've never recorded before. I have a good studio upright piano (Yamaha P22) and a late-model PC with what I understand is a decent sound card (Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo). The piano and the PC are about 20 feet apart.

I don't want to spend much money on this - under, say, $500 for everything between the piano and the PC. I'd like to use a single mike, and a PZM appeals to me because I'd rather not have to get a mike stand. I'd appreciate recommendations on a very simple equipment setup: microphone, cables, preamp, and software.

Thanks.
Herb Caudill

Here's a quick suggestion... and is open for debate :)
... just some ideas to get the ball rolling...

Mic:
Oktava MC012 $149

Capsule:
Omni capsule for MC012 from www.oktava.com $64
.... actually you could get the whole MC012 set up (Omni capsule & preamp body) there for $193, which makes more sense

Pre-amp:
ART Tube MP $129.99

Software:
Goldwave 2track recorder/editor Freeware ... or $30 for full version

Cables:
MonsterCable 500 - 30' mic cable $80
Markertek/Canare 1/4" -> 1/8" male TRS cable (6 ft) $17

Mic stand (sorry, you're gonna want one):
On Stage Mic Stand w boom $20

Total: ~$490

You could probably get a PZM and mount it inside ... but to get a good one, you'll probably pay more than you would for an MC012. Plus, without a stand ... you have little flexibility for mic positioning. This set up will give you a good, clean MONO signal to record ... however, my opinion is that you'll quickly find that your sound card is the weak link. To record in stereo ... you'd need to double the mic, preamp and *gulp* ... mic stand (oh ... and all cables too).

Anyway, I don't know if that helps ... but ... good luck!

Last edited:
Back