uploading wav files from minidisc to PC

erniedance

How can you UPLOAD wav files recorded on a MINIDISC to a PC computer.

What kind of CABLES are required? Where are they available?
Do the PC link and NetMD bundles with the newer Sony and Sharp Minidiscs include this kind of capability or cable?

Well, the Minidisc records them like audio CDs, right? You can always take the stereo line output into a computer soundcard's line input.

Some minidisk recorders have digital i/o. If yours does and you wish to use it, you need the same kind of port on the computer. I would guess that most will have an S/PDIF port.

Well, Sony once made Minidisk rom drives for the PC.. but they are impossible to find second hand. Minidisks work like tape.. I'd love to see an upgrade on MD technology, but for right now you have to hook up the headphone out to to the line in of your PC card and just record it with your favorite wav editing program.

First -- MiniDisks do not record in Wav format. It is a propriatary format called ANTRAC.

There is no way to make a digital transfer from a MD player to your computer. This function has been purposefully blocked by Sony (they developed and own ANTRAC), because they also own one of the major record companies and song publishing companies, and they dont want you "stealing" their music. Ain't that nice of them? No one (as of yet) has come up with a hack to get around this.

The only way to transfer a song from MD to our computer is to plug the analog output from the MD player into the sound recording input of your computer and make a real time recorded copy (which you would recrd as a WAV file and convert into an AIFF, MP3, or anything else you like). This is a pain, but the quality isn't all that bad.

The MiniDisk ROM for computers (if you can find one) uses a different protocol and will not read ANTRAC files off of an audio MiniDisk.

DCMaguire said:
First -- MiniDisks do not record in Wav format. It is a propriatary format called ANTRAC.

There is no way to make a digital transfer from a MD player to your computer. This function has been purposefully blocked by Sony (they developed and own ANTRAC), because they also own one of the major record companies and song publishing companies, and they dont want you "stealing" their music. Ain't that nice of them? No one (as of yet) has come up with a hack to get around this.

The only way to transfer a song from MD to our computer is to plug the analog output from the MD player into the sound recording input of your computer and make a real time recorded copy (which you would recrd as a WAV file and convert into an AIFF, MP3, or anything else you like). This is a pain, but the quality isn't all that bad.

The MiniDisk ROM for computers (if you can find one) uses a different protocol and will not read ANTRAC files off of an audio MiniDisk.

What is really screwy is that they allow you to digitally transfer downloaded music off the internet and put it on MD via USB. It's very easy and painless.

But they don't allow you to transfer music from MD to your computer even if it was recorded on a blank disc and you can't even easily find pre-recorded mini discs in the US. They have made MD's very good for stealing music and worthless for field recording.

Makes sense :confused:

Yeah, they've basically destroyed the point of USB (for me, anyway).

Now, can't somebody hack the NetMD-driver so I can upload my tracks to my PC? ;)

Back