Unwanted fuzz in on recording! Help!

Shinobi9

I have a Dean Markley Accoustic pick-up I use to record with and I have an XR-3 Fostex 4 track analog recorder. My problem is everytime I record a piece of music I keep hearing fuzz on the recording also. Can anybody help?

Anybody but Fostex, apparently...but I suspect this has less to do with Fostex than something else (Fostex really shouldn't be that bad). "Fuzz" to me, without some audio to hear personally, implies an overdriven input of some kind, or perhaps some radio noise. You sure the battery in the pickup is fresh?

My pick up doesn't use any batteries, and the machine records very well, it's just that I am trying to get as close to CD quality as possible and the tracks that I record on have a noticable fuzz. My fellow band member doesn't have this problem but he also uses a different pick up? What do you think?

It's hard to believe that this pickup is adding 'fuzz' to the mix unless the cable was somehow damaged removing part of the shielding. Other culprits are dirt in your trim pots or other poor connections.
It should sound like the .mp3 I posted at:
http://members.home.net/drstawl/midi.html

The "Jumbo Blonde" .mp3 at the bottom.

I used a George L acoustic sound hole pick-up into a Porta-07 then into a GINA.

I hope that I'm not giving everybody the wrong idea. I guess I just want to know why I hear extract noise on the recording when I turn the master fader up to a louder level? I'm trying to put a demo CD together and I would like to have the best possible recorded sound.

The only way to give us the right idea is to create a small audio file that shows what you're talking about and post it somewhere for us to hear. If in the process of making that file you find that the audio file is fuzzier still than the original, then the problem is likely to be simply your sound card.

It's sometimes amusing to find out how many people are surprised that dragons are, in fact, large and scaly!

What else were you expecting? :)

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 06-27-1999).]

I don't know. Something warm and fuzzy I guess. Maybe I'M the one on crack . . . ;)

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 06-27-1999).]

Back