Tascam Portastudio 424 + Computer

Disposable

Not sure where else to post this so...

I've got a Tascam Portastudio 424 - original version and a Delta 44.
What I'd like to do is this...
Record to both the Tascam and the computer at the same time,
For up to 8 tracks at once.
Then tranfer the Tascam tracks to the computer.
I don't mind manually syncing them up once on the computer...

Any easy to see problems with this?
Aside from the fact that the Tascam will likely sound quite different?

I just figured since I have this thing lying around... I may as well use it.

I dont forsee any problems but starting and stoping the two machines at the same time, but like you said, you dont mind lining up the tracks, Go for it :D

Yeah...

I'm hoping I can track some "fatter" sounding snare and kick tracks this way.
I've always gotten much "fatter" recordings on the 424.

should sound fine, i think. i do 4 tracks on my 414mkii then transfer them to the comp and do all overdubs straight into the computer. if you EQ it right, it sounds pretty good.

should be fine, if you press record on both then add a four count over all tracks, that makes it easy to line up on yer pc. have fun.

You'd do better if you getting a synch unit & put a timing strip on 1 tape track. You can then have one of the machines as master & the other as slave.
I don't do that though. I record to my MT100 4 track & then record the 4 tracks into my comp. - can repeat as necessary as long as you retain one original track - click maybe - as a timing guide. Things can move around a little in timing land but that's not too bad.

Yeah, I think you're in for some tough times syncing up the 424 to the computer stuff--I tried it (I recorded drum parts), and it was a disaster. The 424 is going to be off, to put it mildly. After a lot of dicking around trying to line up the analog tracks with the digital ones, including pitch-shifting and some other magic, I abandoned the Tascam and recorded the drums to stereo in, digital. Until I get more ins, the drums get recorded in stereo, mixed down ahead of time on the desk and then into the computer. Frankly, the trade-off ("fattened-up" sound?) isn't worth the "fun" that one is allegedly having doing this. Use the computer's DAW software to EQ, compress, etc. If you're really up for some good times, have the drummer repeat his performance with two mics (two channels in) placed first on snare and kick, then over-head, then on toms, etc. He'll be auditioning each little variant mix, adding the new stuff. Actually, on Rush's last record, the producer had Peart overdub extra fills doing something similar to this

I think I might be repeating what's already been said, but if you're bent on doing this, I'd suggest splitting one of the tracks (maybe a percussion track) and sending one to the comp and one to the tascam. Then you have a reference for time aligning. Ultimately, you may discard one of the doubled up tracks (or maybe not). Maybe you could do a snare top mic into the comp and snare bottom mic into the 424, and then you have 2 very similar, yet both useful tracks that you can use to time align.

This whole thing can only work if you can import your 4 analog tracks into the computer all at the same time, so at least they are synced with each other. Not sure if you can do this with the 424 you have (you can with the mkii and mkiii, but maybe not yours?). I hope so. If not, uploading each track one at a time will be a nightmare. casette decks never play at the exact same speed 2 times in a row.

Back