Tascam 2488 used for 8 channel live recording

nhskier

I am attempting to use the 4 microphone inputs and 4 line inputs for live recording (8 channel). I use my Mackie 24/4 board to mix down to the 4 bus output, used as the 4 line input to the Tascam.
On 85% of my recording attempts the 2488 will simply shut down, requiring a hard reset (power off, unable to perform "shut down" routine) and I loose the song.
The signal levels are not excessive.
Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong, but it almost seems the input is too much for the 2488 to handle.
thanks

2488 the nightmare continues!

It happens to me all the time as well my dude, when I am doing the exact same thing with my band as you are. I have really become disatisfied with my 2488, have had for 3 years, i bought it's many tracks and expected because it was tascam that it would be as awesome as thier portable cassette decks of old, it is not. But anyway, I read somewhere that the shutdown has to do with vibrations in the room messing with the functioning parts or electronics, I have been able to record really loud practices with it every once in a while by putting bubble wrap under the crappy 2488 itself and it helps a little to keep it from shutting down. I'm thinking of going back to analog but getting reel to reel 16 or 24 tascam msr or fostex or whatever who knows. good luck to you, hope you can make that thing work, I'm sure there are ways.

Wow! Bad luck dudes. I've had mine since it came out and love it. I'm going to get another one if this one ever finally strats screwing up on me.

I've never heard of the problem you guys are having. But it seems quite the co-incidence that you both have the same problem using it for the same application. I'm pretty sure on the very first page of the manual, it tells us to beware of excessive vibrations.

Back