stereo drums

Joejoe

well, heres the thing..im working with a regular sound blaster card for my pc.. guitar bass etc...where i can see guitar on like track 1 mono and bass on track 2 mono if i record them seperately..now the thing with drums is that i cant have like snare on track3 and kick on track 4 (live drums)so i can eq and work with each track if thats what they do in a studio..i have to first get my full drum sound and record it on a stereo file..my question is that can i get a way with doing the stereo file thing or do i need it to play back on seperate tracks on my computer..im using a behringer mixer for mic inputs to stereo line in..where my live drums would sound complete then recorded on a stereo file which i cant go back and change volume or effects.if you can tell me the best professional way to do this i really appreciate the info..thanx

Well, I like think I like understand your like problem.

Well, I like think I like understand your like problem.

If I got you right, you want to record your drums with 2 mics and have the 2 on separate mono channels so you can change levels, fx, etc. I assume you are currently taking a stereo output from your mixer straight into a 1/8" stereo jack on the sound card. So, all you have to do is pan one mic hard left and one hard right and split the stereo on your PC. If you're not using a stereo output on the mixer you'll have to buy a y splitter. Hope this helps.

2 mics

where would i place the 2 mics and how good would it sound instead of about 9 mics on everything..thanx

Well, I assume you just have dynamic mics (not condensers). So you're going to have a little bit of trouble with only 2 mics. Check out this thread:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=14978

Its a pretty similar situation. But my best advice is mess around with placement and listen. Its going to take a lot of trial and error to get a good mix and a nice stereo image. It can be done though.....

Back