Starting to record a new podcast, please help me get a better recordings from my setu

talktofrank

The podcast is just me talking, doing screencasts etc. nothing too fancy but obviously i would like it to sound professional

I have just bought a Blue Yeti Mic (yes i know its only usb, crappy converters etc etc) but for just recording me talking a few times a week its all i want to spend on a mic

Now im currently trying to make my pc more quiet, i got some acoustic foam and some quieter fans.

The background noise i am hearing is either the fans or just plain old static.

Either way i would like to remove this noise from my recordings (im guessing i cant remove completely), when i have my earphones in it is quite loud when i am not speaking

I have constructed my own little mic sound booth to try and cut out background noise, have a listen of the recording to see what i mean.

gwiV.jpeg

According to an acoustic engineer it's tough to get an ordinary room below 30dba. I read where reporters used to speak their dispatches in closets while buried under a blanket.

Are you using a laptop to record? Could be a ground loop try disconnecting the mains and recording with battery power i hear it may be a problem sometimes? Then again i could be wrong. I frequantly am.
Dont shoot me guys

I think that is just ambient noise. Even though the mic is usb, it still will pick up a mouse fart in the other room. It does sound like you have a ton of gain though even though you said it was on minimum. What software are you using and how? Could be that optimizing your signal chain will help considerably.

Thanks for the replies guys, to answer your questions -

This is recorded on my PC not my laptop

Yes we have plumbers in at the moment

Yes i turned gain all the way down as it was picking up my pc too much and the noise was even worse

So is this pretty much the best i am going to get from the usb mic?

I am using camtasia to record the screencasts

And also audacity to do some test recordings (like in that soundcloud clip)

OK, well in Audacity, are you normalizing the track after you record it? That will bring the noise level way up.

You're signal to noise ratio is rather high, try boosting the gain so you're hitting around -10db on average and peaking a bit higher (not over 0 of course), adding a gate with a fast attack and medium release could help a good bit, some light compression to tame the peaks, and you should be able to eq the rest of the noise out handily enough :)

i have tried with noise removal filter in audacity, results below

Without Noise Removal

With Noise Removal

Still a hell of alot of white noise :(

You're signal to noise ratio is rather high, try boosting the gain so you're hitting around -10db on average and peaking a bit higher (not over 0 of course), adding a gate with a fast attack and medium release could help a good bit, some light compression to tame the peaks, and you should be able to eq the rest of the noise out handily enough :)

thanks for the tips

ok i have adjusted my gain so i am hovering around -10db

what is a gate, fast attack, medium release?

-10db Without Noise Removal

-10db With Noise Removal

Boy, I think that white noise may just be the mic electonics quality. Sound is constant. I'm afraid you may have to invest a little more in a better interface. USB mics just aren't that good build wise.

i got this mic for $70 and its pretty much the highest i want to pay

i think i have got the quality pretty good now, definitely listenable on youtube, most of the videos i hear are much worse than this so i guess it will do.

Back