Sound Levels

lunatic

So, I've been searching this site on Compression, Limiting, Normalization (in fact I am reading Shailat's article on Compression) anyway... you get the idea ;)

My question is this: If Compression is NOT to bring up the overall level of a track with a VERY low volume and Normalization is supposed to be a bad thing, then what I can I do with a track in a song that hangs out around -45 and peaks at -35?

I know... better mic. and recording techniques (see I've been reading).

If I could re-track it I would but the client isn't interested. In fact, I don't think he really cares but I DO!

So far this has been a hard lesson for me but I am learing a ton and having fun doing it :)

Please advise...

-Brad

Compression and normalization CAN be used to bring up the overall volume of a track. In fact, it is done on a regular basis, every time a CD is mastered. The trick is not to overdo it. The process gets a bad name because computers give people powers they do not know how to properly utilize.

The results will be best if you use multi-band compression. If the client is a corporate accound, ie a radio commercial or something, go ahead and squash the hell out of it (within reason of course).

If you have a lot of clients, the TC Electronic Finalizer is the way to go. It's about $1,000 bucks, but you can find one used on ebay for less.

Brad Gallagher
http://www.just-for-musicians.com/

then what I can I do with a track in a song that hangs out around -45 and peaks at -35?

What you can do is Compress the track.

Keep in mind that digital compressor like the one in you computer is not as good as an analog compressor. I read that somewere. I forgot why analog compressors are better.

Xtremedb (Brad),

Hey that's my name too! Anyway, unfortunately I do not have a lot of clients. In fact, this is my first and I'm not charging. So I guess he can't be too picky eh? ;) I'm interested in the Finalizer because I've read good things about the TC stuff. Any opinions on their plug-ins?

By the way, haven't read the whole thing but your site looks like it has some good info. on it!

Frank_1,

Now I'm a little confused :confused:. I thought I had a basic understanding of compression but it appears I may not. I thought compression reduced the volume by a certain ratio above a specified threshold. What am I missing? I know there must be something.

Thank you both for your help!

You can make a sound LOUDER with compresson. That's how mastering guys get a mix really loud. Here are a few articles on the subject...

Compression article #1

Article 2

Article numero 3

There are a few other articles on the web, but I don't remember the URL's. Ask for other sites, the other guys on the forum know it. Ask for BRUCE, SONUSMAN, SJOKO2, etc.

You might also want to consider the SonicTimeWorks Mastering compressor plug-in. I tried the free demo and love it so much I bought it! You can download a fully functional demo for 14 days at www.sonictimeworks.com

peace!

zip >>

Zip,

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out tonight and report back. Out of curiosity, what'd you like about the plug-in?

Peace...

STW mastering compressor...

What I really liked is the ability to really juice the output without a tremendous amount of sound coloration. What I did notice was a lot of punch added to drums and added warmth in the low end of the mix. Make sure you pull the output slider down very slightly so the levels stays at about -0.2dB and doesn't clip. As a matter of fact if I have a mix that BARELY clips I will not use any compression - and pull the output down a bit. The plug-in has a zero stop capability to avoid clipping.

Another nice feature is adjustable input level...either ganged or separate and the ability to use or not use dither. I got a tip from sonusman to ALWAYS use dither when using a mastering compressor (or any other digital manipulation). I'm not EXACTLY sure how it works but I believe instead of rounding off numbers after the algorithem is calculates an approximation - therefore you don't loose bits after the calculation. There are better (and most likely more correct) descriptions of dithering but it is a pretty indepth thing...that is my simplification of it.

Good luck and if you need any help with the MC...shoot me an eMail.

zip >>

...ps...not trying to plug STW stuff but their new PMEQ is killer as well. Has built in phase analysis and everything. I would have it too but I ran out of cash!!

Can anyone provide some info on a downward expander(how it works and how to set one up using a dynamics plugin). just thought it might help with fixing the track you recorded to low. I have never used one, so I'm not sure, but I think it is supposed to raise the level of the louder audio on a track without raising the lower level audio.

Back