Software that records just one audio track? Is is out there for free?

Nick The Man

Hello to everyone, it has sure been a while since I checked in last. I have my newest expedtion for you. I simply want to start recording my bands practices - however, we don't practice at my house where I have a full Pro Tools rig.

So I bought an M-audio Fast Track Pro and all I want to do is set-up one mic and just record it. THATS IT. I thought it would be simple enough to find some software that does simply that - but I was wrong. So here's my situation - We are using our drummers laptop to record on. It is a strong enough machine to handle some audio recording. He has Windows Vista. Is there FREE software that allows me to just record one audio file.

From there I can take the file home and listen and write new material - and possibly edit some of it.

Thanks as always
Nick

Well - I'm an idiot. I just remembered that he has SONY ACID on his laptop. I guess I'll just use that. But if you guys are up for the challenge let me know about some really simple software if you know of it. Thats valuable information to have!

windows xp will record one audio track and it saves it as a wav file. Just go in the control panel and set up the recording section to look at your m audio input. One track no mixing or anything. Its the most simple free thing there is.

Audacity is a free program you can use. You can save the file in almost any format. Be careful tho, the conversion is not as good as I would like it. What can you expect for free I guess.

God I love the quick responses on this board. Thanks guys. I completley forgot about Audacity. Apperently Reaper is not free anymore. It's very cheap but it's not free. I think it's like $40.

I found out he uninstalled ACID, so Audactiy will be going on his machine. Thanks again!

Nick
:cool:

Back