So I buy this thing and it sounds like that?

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
This looked simple. A Suhr RLIR , but how is it compared to the Apollo Suhr pluggin? Same thing?

Does it sound like this in the DAW with nothing else? On tweakable presets?
YouTube

It will sound however you sound when playing a guitar through whatever Amp you're trying to load with whatever IRs you're using. It's just an IR/Loadbox. You need an Amp to plug into it, and an IR (assuming it doesn't already come with some loaded in?) to use. It doesn't just magically sound like that guy playing his guitars through his Suhr Amp into his Suhr RLIR.

It doesn't just magically sound like that guy playing his guitars through his Suhr Amp into his Suhr RLIR.

If the guy in the video put the guitar down, and I walked up to it and started playing it, it would sound the same. If he strums the A or I do it sounds the same. Been playing 40 years. I can ride the lightning.

I do not want to play like him. I already can. His cock looks young, so I'm probly better.

I want to copy the amp and guitar sound. Effects too. I just want Cliffs of dover on a preset. Then crazy train. Then Under the bridge.

Somebody sooner or later will make a product for this.

My Apollo has excellent presets for the pluggins. One day I hope it gets to be that complete. Flip to Artist patches. Find AC/DC. Go to Thunderstruck. ETc. Then play my skill level with the proper effects, to play along with the song on the CD/MP3.

Last edited:
I know for certain that plugging into that system would sound like it always does - sound like me! Most of those subtelties would not come from my playing - in fat I had to listen soooo hard to hear some of the differences. Others were quite obvious - it does a fine job of DIing a guitar amp's output - and adding character. can't argue there. Just wish my fingers on any of my guitars made that sound - but they don't!

Just wish my fingers on any of my guitars made that sound - but they don't!

If it didnt sound the same player to playr why have mp3 demo's? It would sound different person to person. Start with the "A" chord. See if it matches the amps sound. Nothing technical where anything but a rake of the 'A' chord is introduced.

I was reading this and thought this might apply in some way.
Annotation 2020-04-12 155004.jpg
That lady probly made more money than I ever made, and she was selling 'X' to squid.

Excuse me, Mrs. Dolen can I buy some X , its for my octopus? or Octopi?

If I plug my stratocaster into the Apollo. 1st Diezel preset in the tab. levels adjusted not to clip. This is where im at.
Cliffsriff by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
It DOES sound different person to person, that's what I'm getting at. My band mate has a Strat and some nice processing. When I pick up his guitar it sounds like me, and when he plays it sounds like him. So that's really just the way his right hand does things differently to mine, and perhaps how his left hand mutes and unmutes as he plays. Mimicing tone, doesn't mimic the player.

It DOES sound different person to person.
Rob?

Then does every track you record sound different because its not an identical copy? Too critical for what I am discussing I think.

Ridiculous. It sounds the same. Otherwise your gonna end up with idiots saying that Guitar Center sells a better sounding Tube Screamer pedal than Musiciansfriend. Thats why sponsoring brand is important, and demos, so you know what it sounds like before you buy the item. Or who you want to sound like and from what song.

You cannot tell me you are able to distiguish the person playing from their supposed sound.

I certainly cannot tell you who is playing, but so many times I can tell you it is NOT that person. It's the same with my saxophones, double bass and trumpet - I bought a cheap trumpet for a project with about ten notes - I got it done. It was, er, not OK solo'd, but it lived OK in the mix. Cheap trumpet - Ebay. Over Christmas I remembered to pack it and gave it to my trumpet playing guy in the band. God he made it sound good! With a trumpet - the ONLY difference is his lips compared to mine.

Guitar wise - I bought on a whim, Rickenbacker 12 string. Doing a show with the old 60s UK band the Searchers, I gave it to John who has played one for a million years. He picked it up and it sounded like him. I played the same notes, it sounded like me!

I cannot be shaken on this - I've proved it far too many times. Same stomp box, same guitar, but different fingers!

Here's another example . . . You listen to Yehudi Menuhin pay a single A note on a Stradivarius violin, then give me that violin so I can pay the same A. It will most definitely not sound the same. Technique forms a major part of how an instrument sounds, or rather, how an instrument is made to sound.

In fact, any Primary School teacher is aware of that as they've led their fledgling recorder groups through painful renditions of Frere Jaques.

In fact, any Primary School teacher is aware of that as they've led their fledgling recorder groups through painful renditions of Frere Jaques.

Still got my recorder from grade school. I learned to play Starwars by ear ...back then. The girls were not impressed.

I certainly cannot tell you who is playing, but so many times I can tell you it is NOT that person.

There was a program on the other day. They were telling a famous Dolly Parton story. A while back she entered herself in a Dolly Parton look alike contest for her Dollywood theme parks. She lost the look a like contest for herself. On home court with the advantage.

Not trying to be rude to all the accomplished musicians. I have stated my/this opinion many times here. The gear and effects setting is the sound. The player articulates that noise.

We'll have to disagree on this one. They're part of the sound for certain, but the way the player plays the sound makes a huge difference.

When LBS says "The gear and effects setting is the sound. The player articulates that noise" he is pretty much saying the same thing as "the way the player plays the sound makes a huge difference".

So I have a feeling that despite the apparent disagreement, there is really agreement, but how that agreement is expressed is not quite the same.

It's a bit like all words having a dictionary definition, but how a person uses them makes all the difference.

Back