Signal flow

Lomas

I read through the guide at tweakheadz, and I see that for a setup like mine (microphone -> mixer -> audio interface -> computer) they talk abou the setup being done in a certain way.

From microphone to mixer, from mixer to AI, from AI to computer, from computer back to AI, from AI to mixer and out to monitors).

Since I got the stuff, I've been having it set up this way with the difference that I go directly from AI to monitors instead of back to the mixer.

What, if anything, am I missing by doing it this way? I haven't wanted to do anything that I haven't been able to yet. So are there any obvious advantages I will get from changing it to the way they have it set up on tweakheadz?

Actually, the only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to record two microphones and get them to separate tracks in the sequencer, but I'm guessing that has nothign to do with this particular issue.

you're not missing anything by leaving the mixer out of the chain but a volume control and probably some unnecessary noise.

select a mono input for each separate track that you want to record simultaneously. if your interface has 2 inputs, they could be listed as both 1/2 (stereo) and 1 (mono) and 2 (mono). the inputs could also be listed as left and right.

figure out how to enable any inputs you want to use in your software's preferences, setup, whatever it's called. then look at each track's control area for a section to select the input.

Great! Thanks for that info.

So why would anyone send the stuff that the interface gets from the computer back to the mixer again? I have enough noice coming from that bastard as it is, without doubling it :)
If it's only volume I can fix that in the box just as well, right?

Yes, you can just control the volume in the box. Sending audio back to a mixer would be for taking advantage of the sonic qualities of a good mixer during mixing or for creating different monitoring mixes for the performers.

If you're using software with good routing capabilities, you probably wouldn't have any use for a mixer when creating monitoring mixes.

Aaaah, I see. So for me with budget gear and mixing on the computer that would be stupid. Thanks again!

I'm still so confused that even when I think I understand what is what (and why) I'm not sure I can trust that I actually do.

Lomas said:
Aaaah, I see. So for me with budget gear and mixing on the computer that would be stupid. Thanks again!

Just remember to try things on your own without taking someone else's word as gold. Getting into home recording is like being part musician, part scientist, part engineer, etc. It's a lot to take in at first.

Lomas said:
I'm still so confused that even when I think I understand what is what (and why) I'm not sure I can trust that I actually do.

I still don't know what I'm doing half the time and I've been doing this for a few years. :D

Back