Ripping tracks and recording to CD

EdNorton2

Talk about newbie questions.
My woman wants me to rip tracks off a CD and make a CD that she can play on a non-computer CD player. I have a Gateway computer with a CD-RW thingie. I've been getting all kinds of information, but none of the info I have received to date has helped. First I was told that the format has to be .wav, then I was told that I can't use CD-RW discs, then I was told that the format has to be mp3.

Being an old fart, who just want's to make his woman happy, is there a simple way to do this, or do I have to apply to MIT?

Thanks...
PS
if any one sees Ralph Kramden, tell him I'm at the bowling alley.

You need a program like Audiocatalyst (which is about $30 or so). You can rip a CD into wav files and burn them to CD-R which will be playable on any CD player.

You definitely need to burn to CD-R, not CD-RW. But still not all CD players will be able to play them. Newer players with higher powered laser pickups (dual laser or otherwise) will have no problem, but older players with single laser pickups may have some difficulty. The only way to find out is burn one and see if you're player will play it!

I have 2 Sony players (same model - CDP XE300 - but manufactured 2/3 years apart), the older one will not read any CD-R, the newer has no problems with them at all.

Good luck...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Your computer should have a cd writer program on it already.

Most newer computers have Adaptec Direct CD Creator.

Your computer might have a different program.

All you have to do is record your song/s into the computer.

Then save each song (individually) as a WAV. file.

Once you have your songs recorded onto the HD, you can open your CD Burner program. Then, tell it which songs you want to be transferred onto the new CD and in what order.

Post us back to let us know what CD Burner program you possess.

P.S. bvaleria is correct you MUST burn to CD-R.

P.P.S. You can also convert your WAV. files to MP.3, but then that is a whole other can of worms (albeit: a small can, but nonetheless another concept for you to have to digest). :)

Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.0 (Ripper)

Ed Norton 2,

Most people don't realize that Easy CD Creator has a ripper available. I didn't find anything in the help files about it either. Place the blank CDR in your writer and the Audio CD in your player.

1. Click on audio tab
2. Drag song(s) that you wish to place on the CDR down to bottom have of screen.
3. Click on the 1st song that you dragged to the bottom. Now that you highlighted that song, right click on that highlighted song. You will see a drop down menu that I believe says "convert to wav" or "save to wav". Click on it then name the file and note where it is being placed on your harddrive. You may want to create a file just for your new wav files.
4. After you finish converting all of your songs to wav files go to File/New. You will be asked, do you want to save the other set-up? click "NO".
5. Click on audio tab
6. Find the wav files that you just created on your harddrive. Then drag them to the bottom half of the page.
7. Create CD

Back