Remixing Help

SethDiggs

Hi all,,,

Im beginning to remix a track and the only problem is that I have never done this before : )
I have SoundForge5 and a few other quality programs. Can anyone offer any advice on the process of remixing a track from start to finish, or offer any links to good articles.
It's a basic pop track with vocals and decent house beat so I think just putting a nice 4x4 underneath and a good arrangement would do the trick. But the most important thing to me with all music is quality so I dont wanna hack this upp at all.........so please any adive would surely be a blessing....

Merci~
SethDiggs
DJSETEKh

Hi SethDiggs!

a few questions first:

1.) how many tracks of the original arrangement do you have?
2.) what equipment do you have (sw/hw)?
3.) do you have some sample cd's or a turntable to record your own drum and bass samples?
4.) you know which style you are going to produce?

My personal experience: only laying 4 to the floor under the basic beat isn't enough. I tend to waste up to 80% of the original track and only leave parts of the voice or ticks of a cool bass track, rearrange it to give it a completly different meaning or sound and fraggle the drum to fit the feeling...

greets,
Mark

im a DJ so i have access to turntables but thats about it on the hardware.........I was planning on sampling my bass track from a peice of vinyl and then just add some symbols and creativity......
it seems simple, but i havnt yet started........... = )

I have :
SOUNDFORGE5.0
LOGICAUDIO PLATINUM
RECYCLE
Re-Birth
and maybe ACID soon...........

i really dont know much about remixing a track, like the copyright laws and such, it's a popular song at the moment that you've surely heard on radio play, and I only have the single on cd.
I extracted the audio and began to chopp it upp.....
It would be great I imagine to have separate tracks for each instrument, but I think i have to contact the company who produced the song for those???? if they even wanna give it out??? how easy are they to gett???

I want to keep the originall feel of the song because it's slamming but could be more dance floor friendly, and the main reason for my desire to start remixing is just because i'd love to play this at the clubb.......there are no other remixes out of this song so I say to myself that this would be a damn good time to learn to remix, because i had been planning on it for a while now.

I guess my first step would be to find out copywrite laws and such, but i dont want to wait........i wanna cut up the track, lay it for2thefloor and jamm itt..........

what should my first step be...........
I have loads of common sense and ambition so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.......
: )

but I think i have to contact the company who produced the song for those
forget it...

I want to keep the originall feel of the song
Maybe you need to slightly increase the speed of the song to make it more dancable.
My second tip is to slice the track into small pieces like verse, chorus, some highlights, some bass only,... and play with these parts by rearranging them completly different (without knocking the text).
Forget about filtering the bass away and doing a completly different drum and bassline, this wont fit for the whole song. But you can punctually do this when playing a sampled drum from a completly different song. It's like vinylists do:spinning - mixing - scratchin - spinning

my first step would be to find out copywrite laws
i think you can wait with that till the track has been done...

good lock, and maybe you'll mail me your results,
Mark

Welcome to this BBS, SethDiggs. :)

It would be great I imagine to have separate tracks for each instrument, but I think i have to contact the company who produced the song for those????
Unless you know somebody "high up" at the record label, you are not going to get the accapella specs, let alone, the seperate music tracks. :(
I guess my first step would be to find out copywrite laws and such, but i dont want to wait........
You could submit it to the label, but you won't get that much money (on your first few remixes (maybe, a few G's), if they even accept it. :(
You could put it out on "white label", but your name better not be on it (trust me, on that one...) You might get an advance, but you won't get any publishing. :( You might get licensing in other regions, but if the remix gets BIG, you will get sued up the A*S! :(
I have :
SOUNDFORGE5.0
LOGICAUDIO PLATINUM
RECYCLE
Re-Birth
and maybe ACID soon...........
You have enough equipment to get started remixing. So, good luck.

peace...

spin

but if the remix gets BIG, you will get sued up the A*S!

i dont want to demoralize you, but as spinsterwun says: it anyway will take a few trys to get a result that sounds good to you.
If you're into djing you can test your mix on the croud and share it with other dj's by dubplates.

Doing music yourself isn't that easy as it sounds in the first moment - but the more praxis you have the more you'll get better and better.

so keep on grooving

all i'd really like to do is to be able to play it on the dance floor....

as hard as this is to belive for some people it's not about the money for me, but if i could make just a few hundred bucks off my remix i would be stoked..............a few G's......well.......= )

so.......with that said...........

I've got the track layed out like i like....and my next step is going to be to sample my bass and kick drum.......

does anyone have advice on how i can make everything sync up easily with the programs that I have..........

merci~

Back