Recording vocals question

"Zero..." what?

0dBVU? Sure.

-0dBFS? No way.

'0' dB of gain on your preamp? Unity gain on the preamp?

What is your '0' referring to?

I think you're asking if you should record at 0dBFS or at 0dBVU.

Personally, I hit my preamp at about -5dBFS MAX. Then I mix at 0dBVU.

I'd reverse those numbers. I'd hit the preamp at 0dBVU. Any hotter and it's in distortion.

Actually 0dBvU is about -18 to -15 dBFS.

I never said it wasn't and I'm pretty sure it's -12 to -18dbFS. Anyways, I'm talking about pro tools here. -6dBFS is the point between the green and yellow parts of the meters. And that's the max point in which I mix and -5dBFS is the max I push the input. I should probably start using a VU plugin.. -_-

I never said it wasn't and I'm pretty sure it's -12 to -18dbFS. Anyways, I'm talking about pro tools here. -6dBFS is the point between the green and yellow parts of the meters. And that's the max point in which I mix and -5dBFS is the max I push the input. I should probably start using a VU plugin.. -_-

The boundary between the green and yellow is -12dBFS.

If you have a external preamp, find the spot where the most character is coming into your system. and then make your input level into your DAW far enough where your getting signal without going anywhere near clipping. ALWAYS use yours ears and dont depend on metering. You'll be suprised what happens to your sounds you get.

Back