Recording Screaming Vocals

adam.zamane

Hey guys,
So I'm new to recording vocals, I just started today actually when all my equipment came and I am completely lost. I am using an MXL V89 microphone (condenser), a Lexicon Alpha interface, and the software I am using is called Audacity. The recording has worked perfectly for singing, however screaming vocals have been a problem. Unlike singing vocals where "lines" that look like a heart rate, bear with me I don't know the correct term for that, in screaming vocals it is just a block that does not move up and down. It also sounds very distorted. I have tried messing with the compressor and amplify effects but neither seem to work for me. I also even changed the input level to the lowest it could go, but it still sounds bad. I was hoping someone who is familiar with Audacity would be able to tell me what is wrong with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Adam

Ok, first if you are getting distorted sounds, you are clipping. It is still running to hot. Back the singer away from the mic, you're using a condenser mic, keep him about 6 to 12 inches back with a pop filter in place. To be honest, you are really using the wrong mic for screaming vocals. I personally use an sm7b for heavier vocals. But if you don't have access to that, get a dynamic like a sm58, 57, or anything like that will probably yield better results. I haven't used audacity in a long time, but if it has a meter make sure that the level is at around -12 db when you are ready to track them. That's where you wanna be, then what I would do is bring up an eq, high pass vocals at around 130 hz and low pass at around 12 kHz, compress at a ratio of like 3:1 and try not to crush the hell out of it, just a 2 or 3 db reduction is all you need if you got a good vocal track. Try to keep the singer consistent as humanly possible when tracking, that will help a lot. Hope this helps you out bud, I've been there and done that. And being one of the few metal producers around, I always like to help the metal guys.

Back