Recording Acoustic guitar w/ large or small condensers?

hereitgoes

Hi,
I am interested in recording my acoustic guitar through my Mbox. I was thinking about buying a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics to mic the guitar (I would also use one for vocals, so I could stop using my Shure sm58). Would I be better off only buying one, and then buying a small condenser? Or would two of these mics give me a good stereo recording?
I would really appreciate any suggestions. Two B1s? one B1? or one B1 and a small condenser?

thanks

Welcome to the BBS.

Most people seem to prefer to use SC mics (i.e. MXL 603, Mk012, NT 5, etc.) for acoustic guitar. Mostly using a XY configuration. Others like to use a combination of condensor sizes. I myself use two MXL 67 LC mics and get good stereo sound results.

The SP B1 seems to be a fairly popular mic here. Inexpensive and sounds pretty good. And with two of them you should get a good sound out of your acoustic as long as you get the placement right.

My suggestion would be to go to the mic forumn here and read the big sticky thread. It has invaluble information on mics and placement. Also do a search for micing acoustic guitar. Trust me. There are a lot of threads about this subject.

Good luck.

When you are recording acoustic instruments your room acoustics are real important to get a good sound. You might want to invest a bit on treating your room or building a sound booth or just experiment trying out different places to record, e.g. your closet, living room, a church, in a field etc...
Welcome to the BBS!

Back