Recorded Signal from Vinyl Thin, Weak, Skinny

whiteiceberg

Hey guys, new here on HomeRecording so I'm posting in this forum. I feel like this is something simple I'm missing that hopefully someone has seen before.

I am trying to record my vinyl from my record player (Pro-ject Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red stylus) into my DAW (Maschine Studio or Audacity). I have the record player connected to my preamp (Behringer PP400) through RCA audio cables. The preamp is connected to my audio interface (Komplete Audio 6) with a 1/4 TRS cable. The audio interface is connected to my laptop (Dell Precision) via usb. Pretty standard audiophile setup, give or take some of the equipment.

The vinyl sounds alright, maybe a little muddied depending on the disc, but the audio recording does not look right. The recording looks weak and thin, and does not have the substance I would expect. Every video I've watched of ripping vinyl shows a normal looking audio signal coming in. Has anyone seen this? I feel like it's probably a simple setting or something I'm missing. Recording at 44100 Hz, 32-bit. Tried both Mono, Stereo, fooling with the input/output levels, changing some cables, records, and even cleaned the needle and discs.

Appreciate any help, Image and Audio Attached!
Weak Vinyl Recording Signal.PNG

Attachments

• Audio.mp3
    167.3 KB · Views: 13
It sounds fine. It might need a little finishing work to optimize the level, but there's nothing wrong with it. Well, it's mono, so you should fix that by capturing it in stereo.

The level of the song is down about 8dB from full scale. That might make it sound thin and weak. You can pull it into Audacity and use the Amplify effect to raise it to full scale then save the file. If you recorded 32bit, then you won't lose anything in terms of S/N.

I thought the sound was a bit on the bright side. It might be the cartridge or setup (VTA, alignment) Have you compared the recorded sound to the direct sound once the volume is equalized? It should be the same, however if your computer is using "audio enhancements", then the playback of the audio from the computer might be adjusted. I always turn off all audio enhancements in preferences.

Back