Record at home?

Cheer

Hello!
I want to setup a small recordning studio in my home were I can record some of my own songs. I will use vocals, guitar and bass for the moment. Maybe other instrument later on. I want to use my computer for the recording. I think it's good enough, 600mhz, 256ram, 40gb, and a soundblaster live soundcard. Im a totalt newbie in recording but I have been playing guitar for a lot of years now. Strange? Yes, but now I want to learn me how! I have some money to spend. My guitar amp is a Marshall JCM 900 with a 4*12 speaker. I also have a computermic(suux I know) and some cabels. Please help me to get ideas of what I should buy and which software i should use. Excuse my english, im from sweden =)

How much money do you have

You can start with some form of mixer or pre amp. Get a Shure SM57 for the guitar to start. Get a large condenser mic for vocals. As far as software for the computer, I can't help you there. I am still trying to research what I want to get. I will let the other experts help you there. Your computer sounds like it is up to the task. The only problem I see is that you should have a seperate drive for the recorded songs.

How rude I am

I just wanted to say sorry for not welcoming you to this BBS. What a way to welcome someone by asking how much money they have. Especially someone that is half way around the world from me. After thinking of my fisrt question to you, you could tell me how much you had and I would not be able to relate that to US dollars.

For futher help, have you tried doing a search, or looking at the Computer recording and sound cards threads.

Wish you all the best of luck and Happy Recording.

Hello, Cheer!
I would start out with a good, simple inexpensive program like N-Track. This is a multitracker for computers, and is well put together for beginners.
There is a free version of it you can download, but you can only use a few effects on it, and you can't mix it down.
But check it out. If you like it, I think the $39.95 American they charge for ir it a steal.
Check it out at: http://www.fasoft.com
DJ

Back