reaper mastering

doug662

Hi,
I have my BIAB files seprated into different tracks.....drums, bass. piano etc. And , my lap dobro on another. Now, once all things are set tot he levels I want , do I then send all to One track to master them all? If so, the n what approach do I use to get them all to one track in reaper:rolleyes:

If you have all your tracks separate within Reaper, and you have made the various adjustments you want, to get them into a single mixed stereo track, go to 'File', 'Render', select the format you want (I recommend WAV) , then hit the 'Render' button.

So far, so good.

A few observations:

1 The dobro at the start exhibits some distortion in places.

2 There is a tuning problem between the instruments when they all come in. I'm not sure who the culprit is.

3 The backing instruments (not the drums, though) are hidden behind the dobro, both in level and placement. You can keep the dobro centred, but try panning the other instruments around so that they have their own bit of space.

4 The drums have a good stereo spread, but I am not totally happy with where they sit in the mix. Because they are quite dry, they appear to be in front of the dobro. I would be inclined to play with reverb and placement to generate a bigger performing space in which each instrument can play their part.

ozone 5 "cd mastering" effect
That explains the freakishly overcompressed signal and distortion part...

Never use presets. Especially with "mastering" plugins like Ozone...

Listen -- Do what the mix tells you to do. If the mix isn't telling you what it needs, do nothing.

than you for the advice as I am a newbie at mixing. When you say panning the instruments....exactly what are you referring to. And yes at the moment I am using the presets as i have no clue at the moment

than you for the advice as I am a newbie at mixing. When you say panning the instruments....exactly what are you referring to. And yes at the moment I am using the presets as i have no clue at the moment

Panning... moving left and right in the stereo field.

If you don't know what panning is yet, then don't even think about trying "mastering" plugins.

well i assumed that was what the panning was but at this stage I am asking as many questions as I may. Thank you for your response!! Do you hear any difference in the last mix of the song?

Back