Prospective Logic User Needs Help!

axehead

Hi there,

There's no Logic forum, so I'll have to post this in there!

I'm new to midi sequencing. I've been recording audio on my PC for a couple of years now - mixing guitar/bass/drum tracks together on Cakewalk Guitar Tracks and Cool Edit Pro. However, I got a magazine with Logic Fun on the cover CD, and I've really got into it. The magazine has got an upgrade offer, where you can get Micrologic AV for £39, instead of £99. I'm very tempted, but I have some questions before I commit myself to Logic, over the other sequences. If someone could answer the, it would be much appreciated. I've looked through the Logic FAQ's, but have not found any answers:

1)Direct X Instruments - does Logic support these? I know it supports VSTi. I also own Fruityloops, and am just about to buy the Dreamstation Dxi, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to use that in Micrologic AV?

2)Does Micrologic AV support full automation? I see pictures of Logic, with vector graph automation on the audio tracks. Can Micrologic AV do this, or it it in the silver/gold versions?

3)Soundfonts - I know Logic doesn't support them as yet (God knows why!), but I have been using a VST plug-in (called Bismark) in Fruityloops, which you can use them from. Has anyone tested this in Logic? Is it any good?

4)Upgrades - I'm sure I'd want to upgrade to Logic Silver if I liked Micrologic, but how much would that cost. Would it simply be their difference in price, i.e. £50? Will this be the same price, when Logic 5 comes along? I'll probably end up getting Logic Silver about the same time as version 5 comes out.

5)I have a POD - is there any way of controlling this via MIDI, and automating certain functions, or is this included in the Environment options on Logic Gold/Silver - or am I totally confused!

6)Has anyone actually tried Micrologic AV - is it recommended? Other than extra audio tracks and support for plugins and virtual instruments, what other differences are there from Logic Fun?

I think that's all the questions I wanted to ask...

I just want to make sure I get these questions answered, so I know that Logic will be able to do all I want, otherwise I may look at the rival sequencers. I don't want to use the rivals though, as I prefer Logic's look and feel. I'm only 20 and a student, so my funds are lacking at the moment, but I'd definitely like a decent home studio set-up when I'm older, so it would be nice to start getting to know Logic, even if it is the entry-level version.

Thanks so much!

aLeX

Back