problem with click track

woody777

My band is recording some scratch guitar/vocal tracks but we can't get the click track to play through the monitors or the headphones that are hooked up through the Firepod. We are using Cakewalk Home Studio on a PC. We can record guitar tracks just fine and play them back with no issues, but we can't get the click to work. Anybody know what we might be missing here?

Are you sending a MIDI signal from the click to a drum module (or whatever sound device)??

I use Cakewlak Pro 9 - and I don't know how that differs from your version of Cakewalk.

However, I send the metonome pulse to a drum machine (actually a drum module) and then bring the audio from the drum module through my mixer (or in you case through Firepod.

Thanks for the info... I think that addresses the root of the problem. We were trying to send a midi click track from Cakewalk back through the Firepod. Will that not work? Does the click have to go to a midi device? The Firepod has midi in and out... is there a way to use the Firepod if I do in fact need a midi device to play the click?

We'll probably just end up looping a very simple drum beat in Garage Band, adjust it to the desired BPM and import that as a wave file into Cakewalk. I much prefer playing to a drum beat instead of a click.

Firepod has MIDI in and out to allow a MIDI signal to route through it - however, Firewall is not a sound producing module, thus there is no sound for MIDI to trigger - so yes the MIDI signal needs to go to some kind of sound module (or trigger some kind of software sound program).

Also, keep in mind that Cakewalk will need to know which MIDI out to use. As an example, I have 3 seperate MIDI outs (a total of 48 channels of MIDI)coming out of Cakewalk - with my D/A interface (in my case Layla) being #3. So I have to tell Cakewalk to send the click to output 3 so it finds its way to Layla (or in your case whatever output to Firepod).

Your idea of playing to a beat rather than a straight click is right on. I have found works best is have agroove that is not actually built on a kick snare, but rather a "percussion track (cowbell with tambourine - or conga with clave, etc.). This allows the drummer to place with the groove, and not be overly focus on trying to match the hits of the computer generated snare & kick. In essence it allows the drummer to groove rather than be a slave to a beat.

Back