Is it possible to get a good metal tone from distortion plugins?

WeeWoo

I have been using several amp sims and distortion plug ins and the problem is always crappy miced cabinet sounds.

I am using Voxengo Boogex now and mic/cab emulation is actually excellent but the distortions are farty, messy but I haven't tweaked it much.

My goal is to get a distortion tone as close to a pro recording as possible, so I am wondering if I should continue to work closely with Boogex or should I invest in an amp?

"Is it possible to get a good metal tone from distortion plugins? "

Those who have put up their hard cash seem to think so. I think modelers are a tweekers delight. The combinations are endless. Imagine a pedalboard with endless effects piped through a 20 foot rack and an endless array of amplifiers with midi morphing. I'm sure you'll find an answer in there somewhere.....

I tried all the plug ins you mentioned but for some reason when I pan the track right I hear a mix of dry clean sound and distortion, but when I pan it left I get the normal full distortion, this doesn't happen with Boogex.

I would do a search on "slipperman's recording distorted guitars from hell" There are a few threads covering this subject and you can learn a lot there and read a lot of people arguing both sides of the argument.

to directly answer your question... Yes... No... Depends.

What I mean is that some pro's record using those tools (and pods and the like) and others do not. If you are talking Zepplin I might say no, but if you are talking a more moderns sound, I might say... Depends on who you are talking about.

Back