PC: System Requirements?

Rich Smith

What are the PC system requirements needed for a Tascam US-144 and the Cubase software that comes with it? I'll be using XP Pro on a dedicated unit. But, I'm having trouble figuring out how much of a PC I need.

- Processing speed?
- Ram?
- Hard drive?
- Does an old 100mhz motherboard cause any problems?

I realize there may be a range of answers.

Rich Smith

What are the PC system requirements needed for a Tascam US-144 and the Cubase software that comes with it? I'll be using XP Pro on a dedicated unit. But, I'm having trouble figuring out how much of a PC I need.

- Processing speed?
- Ram?
- Hard drive?
- Does an old 100mhz motherboard cause any problems?

I realize there may be a range of answers.

Rich Smith

I don't know the exact specs, you can probably find it on the Steinberg website, but if you tell me the specs of the computer, I can tell you if it will work.

Last edited:
Legionserial,

Thanks for responding. I have two old PC's in the corner that I could build on:

1. Celeron 400MHz, 512 RAM, 40G HD - Windows 2000
2. P3, 550MHz, 256 RAM, 20G HD - XP Pro

Both are about 8-9 years old with 1.1 USB's and 100MHz motherboards. RAM could cheaply be added to either one. Both are large case vertical desktops.

Rich Smith

If you can throw some more ram in the P3 you might be ok. It all depends on what your doing...how many tracks you expect have running per tune, how many plugins etc. TBH, I'm surprised to can do anything on top of running XP with 256mb. :p

But yeah. If it were me, I'd invest in a new computer.

EDIT: I'm looking at the box right now...

Minimum Requirements...

Pentuim/Athlon 800mhz
384MB RAM

Recomended...

Pentium/Athlon 2.8ghz or faster
512MB RAM

This is all for Cubase SX3 however. If the version you're talking about is a later version, then it's feasable that you may need more than the minimum spec above.

Basically, if you can, get a new PC.

Back