pc problem.....

namtrab101

Hi all! Got a pc problem, and it has to be related to my recording equipment (believe me, I've tested out different setup situations to know this!). I have a Crown pb3 running my monitors...which are the Yorkville ysm1's....they ROCK!! Anyway, what would be a good *minimum* distance to have my amp from my pc? And, should I COMPLETELY keep the speaker wire running from my amp to the speakers away from my pc? BIOS in my pc keeps getting screwed up. I originally had a problem with BIOS when (I believe) I had my bass head too close to my pc. Now I have my bass head and my pb3 about 4 feet away from my pc, but I have 1 speaker wire running right behind my pc. The speaker wire is NOT shielded, so I am assuming that I am getting some electrical interference from the speaker wire, which is somewhat charging my computer, causing my BIOS to do wierd things with my pc. Biggest question here is, should I get my amps farther than 4 feet away, and do I DEFINATELY need to get the speaker wire routed well away from my pc?? And I know all other parts of my pc are ok (processor, vid card, RAM, etc).....I tested them all on another pc. Thanx!!

I doubt that your BIOS is getting affected by anything except maybe a low CMOS battery... or else it's a bad chip. If you had that much electromagnetic interference around your computer, <i>nothing</i> would work, including probably your own synapses...

Funny you should say that. About 5 minutes before getting your response, I was thinking that maybe my battery is going. I'll give you the skinny on what's happening. My pc was having problems...constant lockups, shutting down on it's own...all of this even when in DOS and BIOS!!! I finally formatted and cleared CMOS and formatted my harddrive, and moved my pc out of my office....which is where I record. It ran for a few days without a problem, and when I returned it to the office, same problems....including settings in BIOS being changed on their own. I finally set BIOS to fail-safe, and it is running...so far. Fow how long, who knows. I was wondering if the battery may be getting low, causing CMOS to reset itself, and causing input/output problems, resulting in all the funny lockups and shutdowns. Got any input on this?

Back