Panning

Muffin

I play to a click track with my band from an iPod. We have some backing tracks as well playing through the iPod(Tracks panned left, clicks panned right).
We've recently written some new material and I'm having a hard time getting whats being panned left staying 100% in the left and vise versa.

The backing tracks(and click tracks) are created in Fl studio, nothing panned(everything centered) and exported individually, then imported into Cubase 5 essential. The channels or tracks in Cubase are all set to mono, once everything is imported into their own tracks I pan everything as needed.
However when I listen to the play back I can hear some of my click track on the left side(where the backing tracks are) even though I have the click track panned 100% to the right.
When I pan and listen to it in FL Studio, the panning is how it should be. I've tried panning in FL and importing into Cubase but I end up with the same problem.
Is there something I'm doing wrong that's keeping it from staying 100% in the side that I choose?

I use Cubase 4, and in the manual under "pan modes" there are some details that might result in what you are experiencing. It's in the index in the "Getting into Details" manual.

yup, I started messing with the different kind of pannings available in cubase as well - and to be honest it confused the hell out of me.

I thought it would be as simple as sliding it all the way over to the left, or half way, or whatever you're trying to do. (well, for how mine is set right now - I believe it is that easy)
but there are different kinds of pans you can do - and I dont' understand them.

Hopefuly someone will come and explain the different kinds ;) hint

Pan laws govern how the overall track volume behaves when panning. After all, if there was no volume compensation for a pan things would become much quieter when hard-panned since they would lose an entire speaker.

So I don't think that's the culprit.

Check your mp3 encoding. If you have joint stereo set that could bleed a bit of sound accross L/R.

Check your Ipod settings. Apple loves "enhancers". Some sort of goofy Itunes enhancer could also mess with your panning.

In the "Project" menu, under "Project Setup", check to see if the "Stereo Pan Law" is set to 0db like this:

PANLAW.jpg

Back