Old Analog Recording Veteran, Newbie to Digital

Audioguru

Dragon,
I am a 26 year old home recordist. I have been recording various types of music since the age of five (no kidding), and I have been playing guitar for about 15 years now also. I have always attempted to make my own recordings, no matter what I had on hand (boombox, multitrack, whatever) I am resourceful in getting the sound I need ( the wildest being a homemade tape echo consisting of two open reel decks with a HUGE loop on them to get space echo.hehehe) My point is this; I am relatively new to digital recording; I own a lot of analog stuff (Revox a77 2 tracks, tascam 44, some mixer boards, and a couple crummy mics. However, I have done the VCR recording with successful results, and I purchased a MiniDisc Deck (CHEAP) recently. I also have a Pentium II 233 and use sound forge, cool edit pro, sawPlus32, and a lot of other stuff. I am impressed with the results that I get with it. Could you reccommend a good multitrack soundcard? The Directx starts sounding horrible after about 4 tracks; severe degradation. Also, could you reccommend a good microphone for about 100 dollars for general purpose recording? (namely amp miking, some vocals and vocoder stuff) Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I think I've been over this ground quite a few times. I don't know your sound card budget so why don't you check out the page at https://homerecording.com/digital.html and look at the various things listed there, and then you could look up "sound card" on the search. The mic is easy...if you only have about $100 the Shure SM57 is your best all-around bet unless you can find a used AKG1000S for that price.

Back