non matched pair of mics?

Ok, i hope this question isnt as stupid as it seems...
im looking at the MXL 603s and am seriously considering getting a pair of them...i was reading along and saw someone talking about having two of the same mics and someone asked if they were matched...
i assumed (watch out now) that if the mics were the same model/brand they were "matched" is this not the case? if not how do you tell they are matched when youre buying them? especially if i get those ones from shreveaudio where im ordering online?
TIA
Bryan

"Matched Pairs"

Rhythmsavant,
When people are talking "matched pairs" they are usually mics matched as to their output and frequency response to within a very narrow margin. On high quality produced mics usually getting 2 sequentially numbered serial numbered models is all it takes but on cheaper mics that may not have really good quality control it is more of an issue.

As far as to the NEED of mics to be matched, it is in my humble opinion that unless you are recording a very critical large environment such as Classical recordings of orchestras and the like, it is inconsequential to be perfectly matched. If the mics SOUND is similar enough to be acceptable to you and the outputs are close enough to be covered by small adjustments to mic gain then use away!
I have found some of my best sounding micings have been with not just unmatched but totally dissimilar mics.

In other words, do what sound good to you. Don't sweat the matched pair deal.

Rhythmsavant ,
Congragulations on the $49 deal!!!
I just bought two last week for $75 a piece(as I posted on the 603 thread).
I'm using them for overheads and I like 'em.

Dan

I think we ALL have better things to worry about than matching microphones. When I first started doing this stuff, I used to be real concerned with having my overheads setup so they would be ideallic matched mirrors on my kit. Then one day I realized why I am I bothering, Does my kit have the same stuff on both sides?? NO. Well than what the hell am I matching then? So now it's like I enjoy using different microphones anywhere and everywhere they sound good. More fun too.

good point JM,
i think im starting to fall a bit into some sort of noob, cant see the forest through the trees, i need all this gear to polish my turd stage...so ill keep that at bay for now and try to stay focused on the music more than the method....
of course i still needed over heads... :-)

Back