no audio no matter what I try

bthiesson

.....can someone out in the ether please give me some advice.

I am trying to get an older computer up and running to do a little recording. It's an IBM 333mhz athlon running Win98. I do mostly midi so I installed a SBLive as a cheap alternative to the really crappy onboard sound it came with. For MIDI it sounds just fine, and it works perfectly in cakewalk proaudio8. Heres where it gets frustrating. I plug the line out from my mixer into the line in of the soundcard. I can speak into the mic (SM57) and the sound comes out of the line out of the soundcard, so I'm pretty sure all of that is hooked up right. I cannot seem to put any sound onto the hard drive. That goes for the Windows sound recorder as well. Were should I be looking...is this just a setting I haven't got right?

I await the wisdom...

Hi,
under the windows mixer select properties and choose recording
check the "line in" as the option for recording....

also,
are you arming a track to record in Cakewalk before attempting to record?
you also have to choose the source for each track.
If you have been doing mostly midi, you may have the default set for all tracks in Cakewalk to record from the midi mapper....

Hope that helps,
Later...

..........joro...I owe you a pie! Selecting the line in did the trick. In all my blind wandering I never have seen that particular window before....thank you so much!

They bury that sucker pretty deep, even now after, what is it, five versions of Windows?

Back